Alastair Johnston Returning?

Don't want to get done for contempt of court, but did nobody see Donald Findlay's summing up of his defence case in the Whyte trial? Let's just say it didn't paint AJ in a good light at all. Claim was that he was incompetent, no suggestion of any criminaltiy but still..

Incidentally I hope the club have 2 statements prepared for tomorrow, one for 'guilty' and another for innocent. Because if it's the latter, the proverbial is going to hit the fan again, but if it's the former, then we need to be ramming home a few points in the media!!

Don't want to get done for contempt of court, but did nobody see Donald Findlay's summing up of his defence case in the Whyte trial? Let's just say it didn't paint AJ in a good light at all. Claim was that he was incompetent, no suggestion of any criminaltiy but still..

Incidentally I hope the club have 2 statements prepared for tomorrow, one for 'guilty' and another for innocent. Because if it's the latter, the proverbial is going to hit the fan again, but if it's the former, then we need to be ramming home a few points in the media!!

Do you have a link to Findlay's summing up?

I haven't seen it but the fact that Findlay paints him in a bad light doesn't mean anything in itself.

I thought AJ was one of those who spoke a lot of common sense and seemed to the best wishes of the club at heart, not to say being someone who spoke with passion and also seemed to "get" the connection we all have to Rangers. I'd be delighted to see him involved in some way.

I wouldn't read too much into that mate, common legal practice to muddy the waters as much as possible. From memory, AJ advised Murray not to sell the club to Whyte but Murray was 'encouraged' to sell by the bank. DF and DM would still have a strong relationship, so DF is looking to apportion the blame and not have it all fall at DM's door, while still attempting to get his gobshite client off the charge.

Would love to see AJ having an involvement with the club. Anyone know if he is still involved with the American Sports agency?

The comment about bringing investment was interesting because I can't remember him ever being mentioned in that regard before? Although I seem to remember there were a few rumours he was interested in taking over at one point - was his name mentioned in connection with the US guy who was reportedly interested? Or have I made that up...

If we're close to being back on an more firm financial footing then its maybe not too far fetched to suggest he might be able to find some people willing to invest something.

My only real reservation about AJ....

One of his main roles was to secure investment, and potential new owners. I think it's safe to safe that he failed on both those counts.

There were plans to tap into his "sports network" in order to achieve the above, but it was ultimately pointless.

On the plus side, he was vocal about selling to CW, and under his guidance the clubs financials were improving (even without the investments).

I hope he's been busy whilst on extended leave? If he comes back with real investment great, if not, i'm not understanding the need for another semi-detached director. We need hands on, at the coal face, getting dirty grafting directors imo.

Quality non-exec directors are vital. We are reliant on funding from directors, unable to get a share issue approved and have the whole Takeover Panel issue floating around. We need to get away from all that.

We could do with some more to help bolster the board and improve what is happening at the club.

Do you have a link to Findlay's summing up?

I haven't seen it but the fact that Findlay paints him in a bad light doesn't mean anything in itself.

DF was also less than complimentary as to the ability of PM,as were SDM and other prosecution witnesses.