No quality, no bottle, no Progrès - Should the manager be sacked?

Not sure what you mean.

However - to take Craig using Sir Alex as a knee jerk opinion on another thread - I just read the premier league starts on a Friday for the first time this season, I thought thats not right because I recall watching the first game of the season years ago on a Friday night - however that turned out to be the second game of the season Chelsea 2-2 Man Utd.

So the point is Sir Alex fielded a 4-5-1 that night.

Carroll

P Neville Blanc Shea Silvestre

Beckham Keane Butt Giggs

Scholes

Van Nistelrooy

Ok we dont have that level of quality. But does someone want to explain to me whats wrong with this system and why we have to fumble about? Put players in natural positions - end of.

That's more a 4-4-1-1 than a 4-5-1, but it's essentially a 4-2-3-1, which is what we play: two sitting DMs, with a No.10 and two wingers.

However, as Gaffer said, our pre-occupation with formations is irrelevant: it's how they execute it that counts, and we've not been doing it.

Edited by Rousseau

From the games past be seen him manage so far, I don't see anything that suggests we sit in and hit on the break. Do you?

As for one up front, this is a myth. 4-2-3-1 is the most popular structure for a reason. It means teams can transition to 4-5-1 when required, but go directly to 3-4-3 when attacking. So, in actual fact we have 3 up front, with the number 10 (Nico) following up.

The danger is that we start to criticise the formation after a defeat or poor performance. The formation is relatively insignificant. It's the transitions, defensive line, width, ball speed, and movement that's the really important defining factor, but the pundits don't talk about that because they don't understand it. It's why we are so obsessed with formations. It's an attempt t dumb down the game.

We lost the other night, and we lost because we had no width in the first half. Miller wanted to cut inside always and that meant that Wallace was ineffective on the overlap. Although he changed that in the second half, we did not move the ball quickly enough, and we achieved only 3 switches of play. Rossiter did not play the ball quickly enough forward so it meant that Progres could maintain a high line. We had too many tactical issues but I saw it more that the players didn't perform.

I'm sure PC could see this too and I'd expect him to fix it. I'm gutted we are out of Europe, but I don't feel the depths of despair that many on here do.

it is 1 up front

and other players out of position in the attacking midfield positions, miller isn't an attacking midfielder in any way shape or form

kranjcar is done, completely shot he plays for 20 minutes and grinds to a halt

we don't have wingers so are trying to rely on tavernier and wallace who are woeful

everything is wrong

the recruitment

the formation

the application and the organisation

if you aren't apopletic with rage at what occurred the other night you never will be

it is 1 up front

and other players out of position in the attacking midfield positions, miller isn't an attacking midfielder in any way shape or form

kranjcar is done, completely shot he plays for 20 minutes and grinds to a halt

we don't have wingers so are trying to rely on tavernier and wallace who are woeful

everything is wrong

the recruitment

the formation

the application and the organisation

if you aren't apopletic with rage at what occurred the other night you never will be

Everything is wrong?!? Where were you for the past few years? Let's get things in perspective.

I can see there's no changing your mind, and I certainly didn't post expecting it to achieve that. Going by your rationale, Barcelona play with 1 up front too. Most top teams do too.

As for being apoplectic with rage, this is one thing we can agree on. I wasn't in a rage, and I'd hope I never am again when it comes to my team. I only got angry when I saw people deliberately tear our club apart before we were rescued two years ago. What I see now is a group of managers, coaches and players trying to do their best to restore the club to its rightful place, and for that they'll only ever get support from me. That's what being supporter is about for me. The clue is in the name.

in reply to the OP --ofcourse he should be.(he wont be though)We will wait till the next feck up ,then try and do a deal with him,ie---offer him a years wages to GTF.

I'd offer you a year's wages to do just that limeburner. It seems that you enjoy trolling real supporters on here. Why? There's no need for it. By all means contribute something worth reading. There are plenty of people on here with alternative views and opinions to mine, but at least they provide a decent argument or rationale rather than just mindless negativity. Let's hear your pearls of wisdom rather than this relentless trolling approach you've adopted. I may be alone in saying this, but I'd actually be interested to hear your considered opinion.

While the fallout from last Tuesday handed us anything from calm analysis to downright hysterionics, maybe we wait till we have seen Bruno Alves, Ryan Jack, Dálcio, Fábio Cardoso, Daniel Candeias, Alfredo Morelos, Eduardo Herrera, Carlos Alberto Peña Rodríguez, Graham Dorrans and Foderingham, Rossiter, and Kranjcar play in one team before calling for heads? For that would be the first time that we see Pedro's players play, rather than left-overs from previous staff.

Edited by der Berliner

While the fallout from last Tuesday handed us anything from calm analysis to downright hysterionics, maybe we wait till we have seen Bruno Alves, Ryan Jack, Dálcio, Fábio Cardoso, Daniel Candeias, Alfredo Morelos, Eduardo Herrera, Carlos Alberto Peña Rodríguez, Graham Dorrans and Foderingham, Rossiter, and Kranjcar play in one team before calling for heads? For that would be the first time that we see Pedro's players play, rather than left-overs from previous staff.

The ones in bold all played in our worst ever result in our 145 year history. So basically you are saying, lets wait and hope Pena and Dorrans can carry a team on their backs between them?

Make no mistake, that was Pedro's team (undercooked I will give you but so were our opponents) that humiliated our name on Tuesday. It appears he has done nothing to work on these "transitions" that he so loudly proclaims his teams will excel at. the cold truth is he played 7 defensive players against a team who were always going to play 10 defensive players, left our sole striker totally alone, made subs that only weakened our team, and generally looks like Ronny without the roar!

We can defend Pedro all we like, give him all the time we want to, but in the end I will stick with what was said on his appointment, he wont last a year. His CV was nowhere near good enough to get on a long list never mind a short list, never mind appointed, and this is bearing out with humiliation after humiliation after humiliation. But of course after every defeat we can always rely on some good Rangers fans being staunch and defending the indefensible, hoping for better days, while surely deep down (maybe not even that deep!) they all know what even the dogs in the street know, that this appointment was all wrong and cannot possible end well.