Rangers are Disappointing Me - and I want us to be better

I didn't say it is, obviously i've been lots of times and I don't feel that way, but this is how some other people I have talked to see it, and to be honest, I can see why people might feel that way too.

I've been going to Ibrox for the best part of 30 years and have had a season ticket for almost 20.

I've never seen any trouble and anyone telling you the stadium or its environs are scary are pulling your plonker. Unwelcoming to away supporters - yes, to an extent but that's the case with any ground. However, there's no danger or threat.

Absolutely. I don'y have a problem with Unionism or Protestantism being a part of our history. It's when it get's to the more extremes that it's bad, and unfortunately, that's what a lot of people see us as.

The thing is though, in my eyes, Rangers have progressed. The song book has definitely progressed from when I started going years ago. There is absolutely no denying that. Could it get better? Yes. But it's definitely improving.

The problem again, as with the charity work, is that we have a lot of people who are either paid or have a vested interest to report us in a negative light. The Rangers family is no where near the bigoted Neanderthals that are commonly reported in the press. The press and the "fake news" that is ramping up against our club is the biggest problem we face in my opinion . Campaigns like those against the record (and hopefully a more orchestrated campaign against the BBC) will help our cause.

I absolutely do not side with the Green Brigade (with the notable, probably unpopular opinion that the 'no bloodstained poppy banner' was one I struggled to disagree with.

Someone asked a specific question. What I mean by "as well as some positive aspects which are hard to criticise." I work but don't live in the east end. Celtic and their fans do a lot of good work with local foodbanks and help people find work, and the fans are a part of making that a success. You'd have to be pretty mean spirited to see that and think badly of them. I don't like Celtic and I don't like their fans when the footie is on, but it's not like they're all bad, just like we aren't.

Rangers do excellent charity work at times, and i've done some stuff with the charity foundation in the past. StuGers, who commented on that, had a good point when he said that outsiders don't report it well, but I also think we could really step up and do even more really exciting work in the community.

you're at it

big time

I do tend to wear a poppy. Generations of young, working class kids have been sent around the world to be shot at, sometimes for just causes and sometimes less so. I absolutely despise the way we've got tabloids trying to sniff out people not wearing poppies. It's a choice and this bullying 'poppywatch' is a very recent phenomenon, pushed by the sorts of rags that do nothing but poison public life, IMHO.

That said, the Green Brigade's blood-soaked poppy thing was posturing nonsense of the highest order. If they dress up like paramilitaries and sing about the IRA, it's not about anti-militarism, is it?

Edited by Oleg_Mcnoleg

I do tend to wear a poppy. Generations of young, working class kids have been sent around the world to be shot at, sometimes for just causes and sometimes less so. I absolutely despise the way we've got tabloids trying to sniff out people not wearing poppies. It's a choice and this bullying 'poppywatch' is a very recent phenomenon, pushed by the sorts of rags that do nothing but poison public life, IMHO.

That said, the Green Brigade's blood-soaked poppy thing was posturing nonsense of the highest order. If they dress up like paramilitaries and sing about the IRA, it's not about anti-militarism, is it?

I disagree with you there Oleg. It's only an opinion I hold, however every citizen should show respect in wearing a poppy. Men and woman for generations past, present and in the future have given, and will give, the ultimate sacrifice (I agree with the tabloid rags though).

The very least you would expect is that once a year we wear a poppy to symbolise our thanks, and their sacrifice. Those who do not are the ones who need to have a good look in the mirror. I wonder if most would be bold enough to put their lives on the line for us?

Back to the groin brigade. Those who hide behind masks and plant bombs to murder are cowards. I have no doubt they already know that.

Edited by cooponthewing

I disagree with you there Oleg. It's only an opinion I hold, however every citizen should show respect in wearing a poppy. Men and woman for generations past, present and in the future have given, and will give, the ultimate sacrifice (I agree with the tabloid rags though).

The very least you would expect is that once a year we wear a poppy to symbolise our thanks, and their sacrifice. Those who do not are the ones who need to have a good look in the mirror. I wonder if most would be bold enough to put their lives on the line for us?

Back to the groin brigade. Those who hide behind masks and plant bombs to murder are cowards. I have no doubt they already know that.

IMHO, it loses all meaning if it's not voluntary.

I wasn't advocating a police state lol. Only that every citizen should feel a sense of gratitude in symbolising their sacrifice.

I didn't mean legally enforced with fines and arrests!

I meant voluntary as in not being bullied or hectored into it.

I wasn't advocating a police state lol. Only that every citizen should feel a sense of gratitude in symbolising their sacrifice.

I personally don't think you need to wear a poppy to show your gratitude. In fact for some people, it's an easy way out. All they do is make a small donation, wear a poppy, and their conscience is satisfied?!? It's not as simple as that. Everyone has a choice, and that's the way it should be. And don't presume that anyone that desont wear one lacks any appreciation for the sacrifice. Just because Tony Blair wore a poppy didn't make me think any more of him and his decisions which led to more lives lost.

But that's not why we're here. We're here to talk about Rangers.