Lawful or unlawful?

Many journalists have been falling over themselves this week to declare the EBTs as “unlawful” but failing to justify this in any shape or form.

Tom English, for example, has spoken to “multiple experts” and is happy with the use of “unlawfully” but fails to disclose who the experts were or why the schemes were “unlawful”. Michael Grant in The Times today repeated the claim, and I am led to believe that other discredited journalists have done likewise.

Moynihan Q.C. stated in yesterday’s SPFL statement:

"The mere fact that the scheme is ultimately held to have been ineffective does not mean that when the scheme was being applied the club and Oldco acted with less than the utmost good faith."

Maugham Q.C. in response to Tom English’s tweet claiming “The way Rangers used EBT scheme was unlawful” said

“As a matter of tax law, that's cobblers.”

Lastly, let’s look at what the Supreme Court judgment written by Lord Hodge (with whom Lord Neuberger, Lady Hale, Lord Reed and Lord Carnwath agree) says on the subject:

“In this appeal, there is no suggestion that any part of the transaction, which comprised the tax avoidance scheme, was a sham. The elements of the transaction, which I discuss below, were all genuine and
had legal effect
, as the majority of the FTT held.”

If the Supreme Court itself says that the EBTs were legal, then it should once and for all prove that the EBTs were not “unlawful.”

So to Tom English, Michael Grant et al, my experts are Lord Hodge, Lord Neuberger, Lady Hale, Lord Reed, Lord Carnwath, Moynihan Q.C. and Maugham Q.C. The floor is open for you to name yours!

Edited by Bluedell

It's really quite simple and the attitude of these know-it-alls unsurprising when it comes to inferring illegality.

I'll look forward to posting this succinct piece on the main site tomorrow morning.

Edited by Frankie

Many journalists have been falling over themselves this week to declare the EBTs as “unlawful” but failing to justify this in any shape or form.

Tom English, for example, has spoken to “multiple experts” and is happy with the use of “unlawfully” but fails to disclose who the experts were or why the schemes were “unlawful”. Michael Grant in The Times today repeated the claim, and I am led to believe that other discredited journalists have done likewise.

Moynihan Q.C. stated in yesterday’s SPFL statement:

"The mere fact that the scheme is ultimately held to have been ineffective does not mean that when the scheme was being applied the club and Oldco acted with less than the utmost good faith."

Maugham Q.C. in response to Tom English’s tweet claiming “The way Rangers used EBT scheme was unlawful” said

“As a matter of tax law, that's cobblers.”

Lastly, let’s look at what the Supreme Court judgment written by Lord Hodge (with whom Lord Neuberger, Lady Hale, Lord Reed and Lord Carnwath agree) says on the subject:

“In this appeal, there is no suggestion that any part of the transaction, which comprised the tax avoidance scheme, was a sham. The elements of the transaction, which I discuss below, were all genuine and
had legal effect
, as the majority of the FTT held.”

If the Supreme Court itself says that the EBTs were legal, then it should once and for all prove that the EBTs were not “unlawful.”

So to Tom English, Michael Grant et al, my experts are Lord Hodge, Lord Neuberger, Lady Hale, Lord Reed, Lord Carnwath, Moynihan Q.C. and Maugham Q.C. The floor is open for you to name yours!

I can exclusively reveal Tom English's bank of experts: GerryBhoy67, TheClumpany, Declan1888, CelticQuickNews

Its been ruled upon-----Who amongst US really care anymore.

Let THEM get on with it as they see fit,it doesnt matter a f-ck.ITS OVER.

Its a free country----poeple can do as they wish,or not give a shit (i know where im at.)

They can indeed. I've just finished reading that the Daily Retard claims one and a half million online readers. Nearly all - no surprise here - go to the sports section. The advertisers love this. It would be a good idea for Rangers fans to desist - I hope that's what they wish to do.

Edited by SteveC

They can indeed. I've just finished reading that the Daily Retard claims one and a half million online readers. Nearly all - no surprise here - go to the sports section. The advertisers love this. It would be a good idea for Rangers fans to desist - I hope that's what they wish to do.

Yes,most certainly.Lets face it,if WE cant draw a line under it .How can we expect them to?

To my understanding was the case not more about whether tax should have been paid on the EBTs rather than EBTs being unlawful?

Agreed, but that doesn't stop these journalists and others claiming that they were unlawful.