The Rangers Observer - "Kill All Huns" stickers in Glasgow today.

You will notice what looks looks like a "Starbucks's" coffee shop logo/sign behind it. Do they concur with these sentiments as we have heard nothing from them? I use coffee shops a lot. I won't be using Starbucks until I'm satisfied they or any of their staff had nothing to do with it?

I'm not on twitter, those that are should be pushing the Starbucks's enquiry?

Edited by cooponthewing

The strange thing about this is in the 60 s and 70s this was the song we used to sing to them and i loved it. Think this was in reference to the I.R.A. collaborating with the nazis during the war and parkhead being closed down for being nazi sympathizers.

Any body know when and how this was reversed to us , i used to love standing on the terraces singing that at them and also if i had a tommy gun , how times have changed.

The strange thing about this is in the 60 s and 70s this was the song we used to sing to them and i loved it. Think this was in reference to the I.R.A. collaborating with the nazis during the war and parkhead being closed down for being nazi sympathizers.

Any body know when and how this was reversed to us , i used to love standing on the terraces singing that at them and also if i had a tommy gun , how times have changed.

I have asked the same question many times!, typical C****c fans stealing again!, they don't have any C****c songs of their own!

We used to sing it for the reasons you mention. They started using the term against us in reference to the Royal family's Hannoverian roots (House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha) and name (until changing it to Windsor during WW1 for obvious reasons). The press and the likes of Ill Phil keep pushing the "all Rangers fans are neo-Nazis" line, so that plays into to it, too, now.

Pile of utter nonsense, of course - but that's 21st Century Scotland for you.

Edited by SteveC

You will notice what looks looks like a "Starbucks's" coffee shop logo/sign behind it. Do they concur with these sentiments as we have heard nothing from them? I use coffee shops a lot. I won't be using Starbucks until I'm satisfied they or any of their staff had nothing to do with it?

I'm not on twitter, those that are should be pushing the Starbucks's enquiry?

What's it got to do with Starbucks? They've got no control over signs that aren't theirs that aren't on their property.

Let's remember ibrox has had sectarian vandalism too. Are you missing today's game?

We should sing it back to them and make it redundant.

Us singing it isn't going to make it redundant. It's not a football thing.

When KAH was daubed on Belfast walls during the troubles they weren't referring to Rangers fans and a few Rangers fans singing it isn't going to stop it being used as a derogatory term for Protestants.

There is institutional sectarianism and those in government fuel it. Vote them out, all of them. Anyone who thinks that any member of the SNP dosnt know this is sectarian, is fooling nobody.

Let me put it this way:

AFAIK, Scotland belongs to the United Kingdom. Northern Ireland also belongs to the United Kingdom. It is from there where all this religious and sectarian stuff was imported from, even though it developed a certain "Scottish" aspect. The Police Force of Northern Ireland, who had to cope with all this sectarian stuff for the last 50odd years (minimum), clearly states what certain words stand for and how they are used and perceived. Hence - while they "only" mark them as inappropriate lanuage - they also clearly say what the term stands for. If the Lawlords of Scotland or the Police don't deem the opinion of your average Bear as imortant when coming to their conclusions with regard to the term "Hun", maybe they ask their experienced colleagues from beyond the Irish Sea? If anyone, THEY will know.

The relevant document can be found here (opens PDF download link)

https://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjMnI-c9YrPAhXI0xoKHeexAeYQFggeMAA&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.psni.police.uk%2Fglobalassets%2Fadvice--information%2Four-publications%2Fdisclosure-logs%2F2009%2Fhuman-resources%2Fappropriate_inappropriate_language.pdf&usg=AFQjCNGRDioePJqRNHL39unUo95Fsn6RsQ&sig2=22yxrfJ1vRQnuAuc0788IA

+ + +

Under the Freedom of Information Act, please could you provide copies of documents provided for officers and staff to advise them on their use of language - i.e., lists of words or language that may be deemed "offensive", "inappropriate" and that should be avoided.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland is a professional organisation and it is essential that we take a lead in using language that does not exclude colleagues or members of the community, does not stereotype and always shows a whole hearted commitment to supporting our Equal Opportunities Policy.

By demonstrating our commitment to getting our language and communications right, we hope to reassure officers, staff and local communities of our commitment to fighting crime and protecting all of the people within Northern Ireland.

We are aware that there are varying views in the police service about the importance of language as an equality issue, but we strongly believe that our commitment to diversity will be strengthened and easier to achieve if we carefully examine the language we use and ensure we treat people as individuals, not merely as members of groups.

It is important to remember that the context in which language is used is as relevant as the actual words uttered and we are mindful that context must be taken in account. It is also critical that people do not find themselves so apprehensive about the language they use that we fail to communicate at all.

The information contained in this guide is intended to help to protect staff from making unintentional mistakes in the language they use and to help them interact better with our communities.

It also provides valuable guidance on how staff should respond to inappropriate language, both within and outside the workplace. Getting it right sends an important message about our awareness of equality issues and our respect for individual differences and preferences.

Group: Background/Community Background/Religion and Political (N.Ireland)

Unacceptable/Derogatory/ Slang/

“Fenian”

“****”

“Tim”

“Chuck”

“Mick/Micky”

“Westies”

“Paddy”

“Free Stater”

“Sponger”

Acceptable:

Catholic

Roman Catholic

Comment:

Some of these terms could also be used to refer to someone from the Republic of Ireland in a derogatory manner.

Unacceptable/Derogatory/ Slang/

“Hun” / “Blacks” / “Black Man”

“Prod”

“Orangie”

“Jaffa”

“Bluenose”

Acceptable:

Protestant*

Presbyterian*

Comment:

Please note that this also refers to other denominations such as Church of Ireland, Free Presbyterian, Church of England, Church of Latter Day Saints etc.

+ + +

Any of our Northern Irish followers should make Strathclyde Police aware of this and that they feel discriminated if this is out in the open in a British country unchallenged.

On a sidenote:

Q: Literally, there are no Huns. So who is actually meant by this?

Answer from the Police Force or law people required.

BTW ... You would expect that no matter who is actually meant, that person would feel intimidated and discriminated and openly threatened with nothing less that death ... and one would expect the police to react. If not, they fail their duty.

Q: If the term refers to the Germans (Hun speech of the German Emperor before he sent troops to China [early 1900s] and saying, that his troops shall sweep the Chinese uprising aside "in a manner that would put the Huns' of old to shame". [in case someone shakes his head, the US and British troops didn't behave any better back then.], wouldn't it mean that someone is calling out to kill "all Germans"?

A?

BTW ... Scotland surely has thousands of German visitors each year who (if they knew what is written and implied there) would sure feel intimidated and discriminated and openly threatened with nothing less that death ... and one would expect the police to react. If not, they fail their duty.

IMHO, if Scottish authorities decline to act, Bears both from within Scotland and non-Scots should take the matter to a higher, British authority.

Edited by der Berliner