Ibrox Bar Open For Old Firm

Is it a licensed bar? I thought they weren't allowed in Scotland at grounds.

It'll be my first midday OF game travelling from Edinburgh - any advice on best time to get a train/which train and where to go pre kick off would be much appreciated. Though perhaps an early train and going here would be my best bet?

It'll be my first midday OF game travelling from Edinburgh - any advice on best time to get a train/which train and where to go pre kick off would be much appreciated. Though perhaps an early train and going here would be my best bet?

Yes, they've used the Ibrox Suite before pre-game - it just closes/stops serving around 30-45mins before kick off.

Train takes around 50mins from Waverley to Queen Street and I think they're every 15mins on a Saturday (every 30mins on a Sunday) but can't be sure.

The good thing is the pubs will be open a bit earlier given this is a Saturday fixture so you can get the train through at 9am and be drinking by 10am in Glasgow. Plenty places you can go in the city centre before getting the Subway (or a taxi) over. Same in and around the ground but the pubs there will be very busy so you'll need to be there for opening time at 10am I'm sure to be guaranteed entry.

Edited by Frankie

There are some in town open at 8am but probably best bet is 10am Ibrox bar. All the pubs around the ground are 11am.

Steve, I need to work out my kid's football schedule first but if he doesn't have a game then he and the wife will be heading through to the game from West Lothian - I could have her come collect you from Waverley or Haymarket (or wherever) and give you a lift to the game :thup:

Don't hold out hope though because I have a sneaking suspicion he will have a game of his own - which would SUCK because it would mean he misses the OF game. I still can't understand why kids games get played right when adult games are being played, on Saturdays.

Steve, I need to work out my kid's football schedule first but if he doesn't have a game then he and the wife will be heading through to the game from West Lothian - I could have her come collect you from Waverley or Haymarket (or wherever) and give you a lift to the game :thup:

Don't hold out hope though because I have a sneaking suspicion he will have a game of his own - which would SUCK because it would mean he misses the OF game. I still can't understand why kids games get played right when adult games are being played, on Saturdays.

Hahah - that's very kind but seems unfair on your missus!

I missed the 1970 League Cup final because I was playing that afternoon. I was a right winger (football only) and so hugged the touchline all day to be near a guy who was following the game and feeding me news. When we scored I ran right round the pitch without the ball :)

Edited by SteveC

There are some in town open at 8am but probably best bet is 10am Ibrox bar. All the pubs around the ground are 11am.

Heavens to Betsy, Glasow has changed out of all recognition since my day. 8am on Old Firm day! What, even in places like Partick and around the train stations?

Heavens to Betsy, Glasow has changed out of all recognition since my day. 8am on Old Firm day! What, even in places like Partick and around the train stations?

No, there are only two I know of that open at 8am with a license. You need to buy some food with your drink (roll etc). It's mainly for guys coming off night shift. Your best choice would be the Ibrox bar.

Edited by cooponthewing