In September 1941, the S.F.A. announced that Celtic Park was to be closed until October 17th 1941 following an Old Firm game at Ibrox. Celtic fans had fought amongst themselves and with the police, threw bottles at the police and onto the trackside, displayed a German flag and indulged in pro-Nazi chants. A front-page Evening Times headline on 6th September 1941 read 6th September read:

"BATONS, BOTTLES IN GAME AT IBROX".

The following day’s paper featured a letter from a member of the public who noticed the contrast in front page articles where one focussed on Russia's fight in WWII and the other on "those hooligans who bring such a disgrace to our city and our national sport."

He continued, "Here, on one side, was a country fighting so valiantly in its own towns and streets not only its own battle but ours as well, and fighting regardless of creed or anything else. On the other hand, we have citizens of this country, allied to another, fighting among themselves all over a game of football."

On the same day, Sir Patrick Dolan Lord Provost of Glasgow, said, "It is shameful that Glasgow's great contribution to the war effort should be impaired by a few hooligans who seem to be more concerned about their club winning than that Britain should defeat Hitler in the struggle for a better world."

Why are they the Huns ,and so called ?

I thought we were the Huns?

For supporting Germany in the World Wars, the hun v. the tommy. You must know the songlines "And if I had a tommy gun/I 'd shoot every......." (not allowed now)... "just for walking on the Queen' s Highway."

I'm not going to give the OP too much of a hard time for not being up-to-speed with the intricacies of what's deemed sectarian language - it's a mess of a minefield, and I sympathise with anybody who just wants to watch a game of football and have bants with rival fans.

However - it's Celtic fans that started calling foul on this stuff, started playing the victim card, running to the authorities with their offended-by-everything crap. I can take a slagging as long as I'm allowed to dish one out back, and as far as I'm concerned if the F word is outlawed the H word should be treated the same way. The fact the authorities treat the words differently is what pisses me off here.

Also - if a word is offensive IMO no-one should be allowed to say it, not even to self-apply it. Otherwise the whole attempt to rid the language of it is undermined. That's how I feel about the N word.

Edited by Thinker

Exactly. The highly ironic thing is that somehow Fenian has been widely (forceably?) defines as a religious slur. It doesn’t take much investigation at all to see that the word is seeped in Irish Republicanism, and in fact it was used as a badge of honour. It has nothing to do with religion but politics. But it is used as a stick to beat Rangers fans with.

Whilst Hun is widely associated with derogatory description of Protestants in Ireland (where Celtic fans import a lot of their hatred). It is actually the more religiously loaded slur. But obviously this is a hidden fact in Scotland.

The great problem that is obvious nowadays is that in the West of Scotland in particular, the meaning of the word "sectarian" has been re-defined since the early 2000s and mainly only refers to anti-Catholic and/or anti-Irish (though there hardly is any of the latter, AFAIK) behaviour, songs, and the like. Whereas pro-IRA, -rebel, and anti-Union/Loyalist singing and behaviour were toned down to be nothing but folklore, banter and good-natured stuff. When there is actually a UK-wide legislation in place actively prohibiting somesuch, namely the Terrorist Act 2000 and 2006.

The Offensive Behaviour Bill, instigated by you know who to put us under the boot even further, has only now - albeit slowly - begun to turn the tables and go against all such stuff, including the Yahoos' IRAokes. Which in turn lead to howls of anguish amongst the Hooped Horrors and some rather dubious judgements from equally dubious sheriffs et al.

The big problem is that the media as well as quite a few public institutions are riddled with the Yahoo-minded who, rather than tackling the problem for good, seem determined to create an atmosphere that you would have expected in Ulster in the 1970s rather than 21st century Scotland, just as if Catholics (or Yahoos, for that matter), are still the oppressed masses.

You do not give me the origins of this alleged insulting word or why it should be taken as an insult

The Fenian word used for them is easy to find the origin

“a member of the Irish Republican Brotherhood, a 19th-century revolutionary nationalist organization among the Irish in the US and Ireland. The Fenians staged an unsuccessful revolt in Ireland in 1867 and were responsible for isolated revolutionary acts against the British until the early 20th century, when they were gradually eclipsed by the IRA.”

The N word we know derives from the colours Negro in Spanish , Negre in French so it appertaining to colour of skin.

That in itself is not offensive ,it did become corrupted and hence it s now unacceptable to use the N word EXCEPT when those of African American origin talk amongst themselves then it is apparently acceptable.

Therefore I ask again is HUN derived from the Germanic Royal family in UK and our supports allegiance towards said crown?

I think we need to know why it is an insult not just because someone says, well it just is because I say so.

If I am to be so offended I want to know why.

Hun is not derived from the Germanic Royal family, it is derived from a people who fought against the Roman empire.