Ruth Gilfillan was booted down three ranks over Rangers 'banter' claim

The Polis are an unusual organisation. I've known coppers with the sickest sense of humour, where literally nothing was out of bounds to joke about. When challenged they'd explain it was their way of dealing with what they saw and dealt with on a regular basis. I don't know the person involved but I see she heads up the Human Trafficking division; can you imagine what she must see and hear about on a weekly basis? Just try and imagine what kind of individuals she must have to deal with. If that doesn't harden you and change your tolerance of what's acceptable to joke about and what isn't then I don't know what will.

I suspect this is a personal thing. The person who made the complaint might dislike her, be envious of her success or have a problem with a woman giving orders, who can tell. But 'common-sense' left the police force a while ago and senior police in particular should be aware of who they can speak openly in front of and who they can't.

It's a shame, none of this has the slightest bearing on her ability to do her job after all.

Hhmm, drawing a correlation between the rc church and child sex abuse?

I wonder, currently we have two popes, we have a Scottish Cardinal who is NOT allowed to set foot in Scotland, confined to a house in Northumbria, and three official spokespersons who are NOT allowed to speak. Are we allowed to mention any of this during working hours?

One might argue that drawing a colleague's attention to such risk was actually crime prevention.

Apologies if I'm wrong but didn't you take me to task for generalizing about Americans? Why the change of heart when discussing other groups?

Did I really "take you to task"? I guess I must have done if you've been waiting all this time for an opportunity to point it out ? Apologies if I seem callous but I really don't care.

Most wars are about land, power and money and have nothing to do with religion. WWI and WWII will testify to that.

I totally agree that power and land play a huge role but I can't agree that the killing of millions of Jews had nothing to do with a religion. While not specifically Catholic or proteststant or Islam it was fuelled by Hitlers belief in an Aryon super race which you can also class as a sect or religion in the proper meaning of the word. A huge sect believing and forcing other people into his\their beliefs.

Germany annexing Poland started the war and that had little to do with religion.

That is too simple. There was a whole background of things happened before that happened. Hitler writing Mein Kampf and getting into power played a huge role.

Germany annexing Poland started the war and that had little to do with religion.

Actually, was it not the invasion of Belgium that triggered it? Poland put everyone on watch, but it was the move into Belgium and the Treaty of London (the famous "scrap of paper") that actually prompted action?

That was the trigger for the war though.

Religion was a contributory factor in WWII but to suggest it was the main reason is incorrect.

The invasion of Poland was just the first step of the fighting war. As I say there was a whole history of things building up to it and the anti-Semitic beliefs of Hitler played a huge role. Why do you think Mein Kampf was banned for sale for many years. I don't mean this as belittling as I am also no professor on the subject but you really need to find out more about Hitler, how he got to power and the build up of the third Reich to understand what really was behind the war. the second world war actually grew from the poverty and feelings that were left from the first world war. That made it easy for Hitler to build a platform. He was actually jailed for trying a coup before he got to power and wrote Mein Kampf in jail. He believed the Jews were trying to take over the world and that is where his anti-Semitic beliefs came from. He wanted to wipe out all Jews and Bolshaviks as he saw them as inferior people and the Aryans as superior people. He believed the taking of Poland was just taking German land back and would lead to a greater Germany.

I am afraid anti-Semitic beliefs played a huge part in the war which fell on top of poverty and a feeling that Europe was keeping the Germans Poor.

But Britain declaring war on Germany had nothing to do with religion. Same goes for America.

Hitler wasn't particularly religious and from what I've read, his hatred for Jews was racial as much as it was religious.