Ruth Gilfillan was booted down three ranks over Rangers 'banter' claim

For me, politics should be secular, as soon as you start pandering to religions, it gets quite dangerous. Just look at the US and what kind of world they have helped to deliver. Turkey are another example.

Doesn't the United States have a separation of Church and state?

Can you elaborate on what you mean?

Nope....The "rise" of Tories in Scotland is due to the complete collapse of Labour.

Until recently, Scotland (as a country) was a solid Labour strong hold - no other party got a look in. This is mainly due to our working/industrial background - mining, ship building, steel works to name a few. The Labour party represented those people. Then the Tories started closing down the industry, and Labour's numbers started declining (but in small numbers). Then Labour just went into complete melt down & no longer represented the needs of the workers. As a result, voters looked else where.

I think the rise of the Tories is more to do with being anti independence and the Tories being seen as the party which will defend the union. The Labour Party is gaining in support but it's perceived ambivalence towards retaining the union is holding it back.

There are reasons why politics in the West of Scotland seems to have such a Roman Catholic dominance, and they are worth exploring and understanding. It's also worth exploring why so many working class people have become disenfranchised by politics and never vote.

Very few, if any, are disenfranchised.

Depends how you define your disenfranchisement. I'd say if no parties represent your political views, you are stripped of any power within the political system.

I just vote for the party most likely to overcome the SNP or spoil my ballot.

Care to elaborate ?

City Building. There was a story a few years ago that a van was stopped and it ad hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of drugs in it. Naturally, the story wasn’t really that big in the media, however, you would have thought a massive drugs bust in a council associated vehicle would have been massive news.

http://www.scottishconstructionnow.com/7034/three-arrested-as-police-seize-200000-of-drugs-in-city-building-van-raid/

There have been a few shady stories related.

Please elaborate and educate us.

It appears that r_s is insisting on using the word "disenfranchise" in the abolutely literal sense (i.e. to deprive someone of the right to vote) rather than addressing the point that you and JohnMc are clearly trying to make - presumably just to be annoying.

Getting back to the original post, what a waste that the fight against organised crime is being held back due to some snowflake Celtic supporter getting their feelings hurt. You would think a pretty thick skin would be essential in this line of work, but not nowadays it seems. Police (senior management at least) are more interested in “domestic abuse” and “hate crime” than dealing with the tide of violent crime and drugs on the streets. The Russian mafia can sleep easy tonight, people trafficking is less of a priority at Police Scotland than someone hearing a poor-taste joke on their birthday.