The Scotsman - Why Weren’t Aberdeen Awarded A Penalty?

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/why-gary-mackay-steven-could-have-been-awarded-a-penalty-at-ibrox-1-4628168

Yes, in the 7 days that Celtic were handed two seriously dodgy penalties to get them out of jail, The Scotsman decides to highlight an innocuous challenge in our game.

Again, this raises the question - is this the work of some partisan Celtic scumbag or are the paper paid to plant these stories?

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/why-gary-mackay-steven-could-have-been-awarded-a-penalty-at-ibrox-1-4628168

Yes, in the 7 days that Celtic were handed two seriously dodgy penalties to get them out of jail, The Scotsman decides to highlight an innocuous challenge in our game.

Again, this raises the question - is this the work of some partisan Celtic scumbag or are the paper paid to plant these stories?

It's the M.O. of a lot of newspapers+ to court controversy for their own commercial benefit.

That means more often than not, centering attention on issues that concern us or them.

Thereafter, people can judge if there is a consistency of a one-sided opinion/selection of issues to feature.

eg. IMO, the DR and BBC Scotland go out of their way to show Rangers and certain individuals at the club in a bad light.

-------------------------

What has happened in the last few years is that many of the 'diddy clubs' fans have become more anti-Rangers, opposed to previously view both big clubs with fairly equal disdain.

This means that when newspapers think about (potential) customers that if they were to pick a side for commercial reasons, it wouldn't be us.

The article does say that Tavernier's "tug" wasn't enough for a foul, which is where I thought the best claim for a penalty was.

Where it does say that there could have been a penalty was that when GMS moved his foot back he caught Tav. So it was GMS that made contact with Tav and not the other way around so in my book that's not a penalty.

Edited by Bluedell

All about the ref's angle again. But to be fair to them, they also have an article saying that McGregor essentially cheated and Collum simply saw it from a misleading angle ...

Why the referee awarded Celtic another penalty against Motherwell

For me it’s not a foul, though the video which emerged on Thursday evening does indicate why referee Willie Collum thought it was. From the video, included above, we see that there is plenty of contact between the pair as the collide. However, what’s hard to decipher from that angle is the aggressive angle taken by McGregor as he tries to cut in front of Rose (Picture One).

Critics have called this a dive. I doubted whether this was the case before seeing the later video, and it’s clear from the clip that it’s not.

The reason I don’t believe it’s foul is because McGregor has initiated the contact with his movement, and that it’s a combination of his momentum and the contact which has taken him down. Looking at the clip several times over, McGregor almost slides down Rose’s thigh after the initial contact from the Australian’s forearm on McGregor’s back. It’s up to interpretation, as most decisions are, but I’d say if McGregor was balanced then the contact wouldn’t have been enough to knock him over. Therefore it’s not a foul.

To summarise, it’s more of a penalty claim than the original replays suggested, but the angle taken by McGregor, including the speed in which he cuts in front, contributed to him going to ground as much as anything Rose does. Not a penalty for me, but not a complete travesty either.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/competitions/premiership/why-the-referee-awarded-celtic-another-penalty-against-motherwell-1-4628149

As for the Tav incident ... the analyser chose the wrong still to claim for a touch or penalty. As you can see in the side-view, before McKS gets his shot away, Tav is half a yard behind him and he takes another step or two untouched before slicing the shot wide.

Edited by der Berliner

Quite the most tortuous piece of logic I have read since, well, since the last one.

I despair when I read or hear such laboured pedantry, which takes no account of common sense or practicalities. Such pettifoggery can result only from spending too much time pleasuring the holy masters of sophistry.