Honest mistakes or something more sinister?

When I see the ongoing efforts to sanitise virtually everything in life, I wonder how the hell my father's generation ever managed to win an honourable war, create the NHS, etc before we saw the light about f**king the pontiff or created identity politics to allow someone to swing their penis in a young girls changing room. The moral - for all our new-found conventions on right and wrong, we've achieved a great deal less morality than we think we have. What we have done is become obsessed by an endless list of trivia, such as who sings what at a football match.

Well said, Bill. The more identity politics gains traction, the thinner British skins seem to get. We're a bunch of pathetic cerebral wimps nowadays.

Ain't that the truth. Conformity and virtue signalling is everything.

I appreciate that there is no changing your mind on this, and that's fine. It seems a little ironic however that you want to live in a free speech society (which I do too), but then claim that what you think is the only correct position. You may consider yourself to be a "pathetic cerebral wimp", just as you can claim that your Rangers is about unionism and related politics, but for many of us (and dare I say the majority), the club is about football and we the supporters of the club. It's about a successful team on the pitch. Plain and simple. I don't understand why you want to complicate matters by bringing politics into it. All this does is create division in our support, and that makes me suspicious as to your motives. Why would you do that? Don't you think it's healthy to have people with different views all coming together as we do?

As for Bill wondering how his father's generation achieved those great things ..... wasn't it a case of thousands/millions of people (probably with many different opinions) uniting around a common cause?

I don't consider myself a pathetic cerebral wimp. You have misunderstood my criticism of the national mindset.

You can bring up the politics aspect you complain about at the next match you attend - I suggest asking people to stop singing Rule Britannia or Derry's Walls by telling them how divisive they are being. Please let me know how you fare.

Do you go on supporters buses often? All the ones I've been on (for 30 years), the majority aboard have seemed keen on the cultural side of things.

When I see the ongoing efforts to sanitise virtually everything in life, I wonder how the hell my father's generation ever managed to win an honourable war, create the NHS, etc before we saw the light about f**king the pontiff or created identity politics to allow someone to swing their penis in a young girls changing room. The moral - for all our new-found conventions on right and wrong, we've achieved a great deal less morality than we think we have. What we have done is become obsessed by an endless list of trivia, such as who sings what at a football match.

Meanwhile, the more important stuff has gone or been allowed to go to hell in a handcart.

Look at society 4 decades ago, the geo-politics, the NHS, distribution of wealth, influence of finance in football, etc.....and ask yourself if we've been had ?

I just don't see politics having anything to do with Rangers. I've no doubt there will be political issues ongoing within the SFA, SPL, etc, but not in the mainstream political arena. I don't think any of them care one bit about football in general.

We have a huge support from all backgrounds, religions and cultures. I think it's fair to say that every political party will be voted for by a section of our support. I see that as a good thing. Equally you'll have supporters with strong views one way or another on independence, climate change, BrExit, and other issues. We are not all the same, so to characterise our club as being political one way or another is not something that I accept. We are a football club. We've got enough enemies in the game without creating divisions in our own support.

So the fact that there is just one Rangers supporting MSP is just a statistical anomaly?

I appreciate that there is no changing your mind on this, and that's fine. It seems a little ironic however that you want to live in a free speech society (which I do too), but then claim that what you think is the only correct position. You may consider yourself to be a "pathetic cerebral wimp", just as you can claim that your Rangers is about unionism and related politics, but for many of us (and dare I say the majority), the club is about football and we the supporters of the club. It's about a successful team on the pitch. Plain and simple. I don't understand why you want to complicate matters by bringing politics into it. All this does is create division in our support, and that makes me suspicious as to your motives. Why would you do that? Don't you think it's healthy to have people with different views all coming together as we do?

As for Bill wondering how his father's generation achieved those great things ..... wasn't it a case of thousands/millions of people (probably with many different opinions) uniting around a common cause?

For me too, Rangers is about football. But there is no denying that there is more to it than that.

I don't consider myself a pathetic cerebral wimp. You have misunderstood my criticism of the national mindset.

You can bring up the politics aspect you complain about at the next match you attend - I suggest asking people to stop singing Rule Britannia or Derry's Walls by telling them how divisive they are being. Please let me know how you fare.

Do you go on supporters buses often? All the ones I've been on (for 30 years), the majority aboard have seemed keen on the cultural side of things.

You can sing what you want. In my ideal world, people can say what they want. I'd hope that others would be tolerant of that, but equally I'd hope everyone is willing to take responsibility for the consequences of what they say.

As for the "cultural" side of things .... Rather than using vague words like that, why not call it what it actually is?