Is The Billy Boys Song Banned?

11 minutes ago, StuGers said:

By who’s definition though? If we changed the word from Fenian to Wankers, what’s to stop the definition of Wankers being changed to Catholic, as has happened with Fenian?

by footballs governing bodies!!!!

by persisting in using the current wording, all we are doing is providing ammunition for all the haters.  Change the words to something with a direct connection to the club, that can't be deemed offensive, then belt it out all game long.  To make it even better....get it "approved" by the authorities.

2 hours ago, Bill said:

Of course you're entitled to raise the question of religion but I'd like to point out that I didn't. Not everyone immediately reaches for the bible when considering our football club. Cheers.

Not exactly, but defining what the club's heritage is does sound a bit dogmatic to me, and has said Christian attributes too, as I explained. TBB has obviously been taken out of context by those chasing it for a reason. Hypocritically so, as they themselves push the opposite agenda with abandon. UEFA banned for religious discrimination and hatefilled lines, ignoring the political background. Not that either should have that much space in a football stadium.

As others have said, there is no need for hate-filled stuff, even in said song. When I watched my first live Rangers game on TV, a European tie at Ibrox against Borussia Mönchengladbach, TBB was not that audible. But "We are Rangers, we are Rangers, no-one likes us ..." shook the German commentator's spine. As did "Derry's Walls" being sung to the tune of "Amazing Grace" in a game against Bayern Munich in a clip of days gone long by.

On a wee sidenote, we probably don't need to fear any repercussions from UEFA in this day and age, given how often the Yahoos have gone against direct UEFA orders and simply accept fines between 5 and 30k on a yearly basis. (Even though we are not them, of course, and some may argue that we are a different case altogether.)

17 hours ago, pete said:

Seemingly the guy at the Sun who brought the story has tweet  contact with I'll Phil and has a past of Rangers hating tweets.

It isn't seemingly pete.  He was also caught trying to delete prior tweets after he had the article published....

6 hours ago, ian1964 said:

The real reason C****c fans wanted it banned is because it such a stirring song!, it sounds terrific, nothing to do with them pretending to be offended!, they wanted it banned because they hate it!, nothing to do with sectarianism!.

All they did after it was banned was complain about every other song we sing.

Ill Phil had us singing the Famine Song until I pointed out to him that it was Four Lads Had A Dream.

These people are diseased. They hate every single thing about Rangers.

Once everything was wiped out they'd be lobbying for our colours to be changed as they found blue offensive.

It'll never stop and Rangers should have drawn a line in the sand years ago and said, no more.

10 hours ago, ian1964 said:

The real reason C****c fans wanted it banned is because it such a stirring song!, it sounds terrific, nothing to do with them pretending to be offended!, they wanted it banned because they hate it!, nothing to do with sectarianism!.

Decades of trailing our wake, of being second best, has left them beyond paranoid. They're damaged goods and we see it reflected in every obsessive utterance about Rangers. They'll never recover from NIAR, May 1999 and the various helicopter events. They thought we were dead and buried, now they're frantically looking over their shoulder, choking on their jelly and ice cream. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/01/2018 at 14:55, BEARGER said:

Why would anyone want to sing a song about a fascist? Unless of course they have  fascist leanings.

Could be I got this wrong(now there’s a first). Seems that a book by Andrew Davies states that Fullerton worked his way up through the ranks of the Billy Boys, therefore he did not name the gang or is it named after him.

51BPSDhoZxL._SX324_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg