Pacific Quay Musings?

35 minutes ago, JohnMc said:

I suspect there are reporting restrictions in place on this case. It's not just the BBC who are skirting around his most famous employer's name, all the media are. I suspect there's been a ruling on this until the case is finished. For what it's worth I doubt it's to protect Celtic, rather it's to ensure reporting of the case remains cautious and avoids sensationalism, as can happen in Scotland when a football team is involved. I'd be very surprised if it's not front page news, with multiple mentions of Celtic, when the case finishes. 

Away from that I caught 10 mins of the BBC Radio Scotland evening sport's programme last night. Michael Stewart and Tom English had a real on air barney, it was quite entertaining. Stewart nearly completely lost it a couple of times as English basically accused him of lying. Who knew anyone could get that worked up about this current Scotland side. 

The only thing MS is bothered about is being proven right.

It's an example of what the internet/social media has helped bring to 'debate'. 

Polarisation generally  tends to be at a higher or more extreme level and it's often the need to be seen to be right that is more important to the protaginists than anything concerning the subject matter.... However, all you ever get is two or more people shouting at each other.

It has become very easy for the powers that be to deflect, divide and get on with their agenda. Trump is probably the best instigator of it.

Edited by buster.

13 hours ago, 26th of foot said:

Reference : BBC Scotland's website, tonight.

A man has gone on trial for the historical sexual abuse of four boys.

Jim Torbett, who is 71, denies nine charges of sexual abuse committed between August'85 and August' 94.

The boys were aged between four and thirteen when abuse by Mr Torbett is alleged to have started. 

The offences are alleged to have happened at locations including his home, Barrowfield football ground in the east end of Glasgow, and a factory in the south side of city.

Other locations where offences are alleged to have occurred include a dormitory in France and training facilities in Glasgow's west end.

Defence QC Tony Graham lodged a special defence of alibi in relation to one of the charges.

No evidence has yet been heard.

The trial before Lord Judge Beckett continues. 

If I am ever asked to explain the expression "mealy-mouthed", I shall produce this piece from BBC Scotland. 

Perhaps there are reporting restrictions, imposed by the trial judge; or even by interdict, as I have heard rumoured (I do not know if such intervention by involved parties is even possible).

In any event, perhaps the public should receive, as a matter of course, clarification(s) from our purveyor of national news to explain its lack of frankness. 

4 hours ago, compo said:

Yesterday I went into John  Lewis bought myself one of these digital wireless things and the grand son has it set up so I don't get this horrid station  only the ones I want .

At least you are getting more inventive in your weekly offering of the same advice :D

5 hours ago, compo said:

Yesterday I went into John  Lewis bought myself one of these digital wireless things and the grand son has it set up so I don't get this horrid station  only the ones I want .

Does your new wireless get the McFlannels, Compo?

3 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Does your new wireless get the McFlannels, Compo?

Well this morning I was listening to Kenneth Horne  from 1959 and it would do some younger comedians good to listen to a master of wit .?

Gonna have a bit of a rant now. Those of us (quite a lot) who live abroad (by that I mean England) and don't have Sky Sports, have to rely online on the BBC and its Sportsound. Thanks to the 'disagreement' with Aunty, I had to listen to the first half and follow slow updates without commentary while the studio rabbited on about Keltic's latest failure and played a long interview with Rodgers. If it hadn't been for Ian 1964 sending me a link I would have had to endure more.

Please, Rangers board, end this stand-off now. It seems as if Radio Scotland is all about the Keltic because that's all you hear and this is the result of banning a reporter whom i don't think is there now. Please don't give me all this 'biased' stuff; last night Steven Thompson ex-Ranger was on the panel and they also have Dodds to give an RFC perspective. It is ridiculous that I cannot get commentary on the BRITISH Broadcasting corp. (nothing on Radio 5 live either).

Y' know Sir Alex Fergie once had a long stand-off with some reporters till finally it was resolved.

We are the biggest club in Scotland and still one of the biggest in Britain yet we get as much coverage as Livingstone.