Jump to content

 

 

Pacific Quay Musings?


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Scott7 said:

Dingwall is a Highland town. There’s a gaelic choir there. Nonetheless only a miniscule percentage of the population will be able to understand the Alba output.

 

What’s the point?

Don't BBC and other broadcasters get funded by the Scottish government to produce Gaelic speaking programmes?

Edited by les186
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

They replaced (ITV) Border TV with BBC Alba in the Borders a few years ago.  So instead of getting the latest news from the Border City (Carlisle), inhabitants of the Borders get a channel in a language that no one ever spoke there.

 

That annoys me.

 

 

I was paying a low rate for my satellite tv they happily informed me that I had 3 extra channels that I didn't want and then hiked the price.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, les186 said:

Don't BBC and other broadcasters get funded by the Scottish government to produce Gaelic speaking programmes?

So we're paying extra income tax to fund TV channels for a couple of thousand Gaelic speakers (who can all speak English anyway).

 

Isn't it magnificent. 

 

In next weeks broadcast, I will inform Scotland that kilts and bagpipes don't represent the whole Scottish nation (Border Reivers and many Lowland Scots wore trews, not kilts).  🤬

Edited by Gonzo79
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

So we're paying extra income tax to fund TV channels for a couple of thousand Gaelic speakers (who can all speak English anyway).

 

Isn't it magnificent. 

 

In next weeks broadcast, I will inform Scotland that kilts and bagpipes don't represent the whole Scottish nation (Border Reivers and many Lowland Scots wore trews, not kilts).  🤬

I have never worn a kilt or would ever wish to. Just not my thing and you couldn’t pay me to dress up with one. I have always found the long material known as “trousers” which cover my whole lower body to be frightfully comfortable. Magnificent innovation!👌

Edited by cooponthewing
Link to post
Share on other sites

8m from the BBC, and 13 from the Scottish government make up Alba's budget, for a total of 58,000 Gaelic speakers.

 

Could we not do a Gersnet podcast in Gaelic ,and relieve them of some of that budget, because they can't give it away.

I've no evidence , but I'd suggest that their highest viewing figures were during the period when we were coming up through the leagues.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Valid as the critic may be, preserving an essentially dying language (et al) will always get a - by proportion - greater share of attention and money.

 

On a wee sidenote ... any football game by the lesser leagues or competition will be watched by an audience not fluent in the language spoken. Just because it is football on TV, it is their club that may hardly ever get TV attention elsewhere, or, indeed, because many are fed up with the garbage that filters from the half-empty SKY or BT or whatever commentators' and experts' brains through the microphones.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Switched on the car radio today. It was half time in the Motherwell Hearts game - full coverage. Richard Gordon told us that full coverage of the Kilmarnock Celtic game was coming up, plus full coverage of the Ross County Inverness Caley SC replay   on Tuesday night, then full coverage of Valencia Celtic on Thursday evening. No mention of Rangers Kilmarnock on Wednesday night 🤢.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, les186 said:

Switched on the car radio today. It was half time in the Motherwell Hearts game - full coverage. Richard Gordon told us that full coverage of the Kilmarnock Celtic game was coming up, plus full coverage of the Ross County Inverness Caley SC replay   on Tuesday night, then full coverage of Valencia Celtic on Thursday evening. No mention of Rangers Kilmarnock on Wednesday night 🤢.

We are non people to these cretins. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/02/2019 at 20:20, Gonzo79 said:

They replaced (ITV) Border TV with BBC Alba in the Borders a few years ago.  So instead of getting the latest news from the Border City (Carlisle), inhabitants of the Borders get a channel in a language that no one ever spoke there.

 

That annoys me.

 

 

Border TV was bought by Granada TV, the Manchester based ITV franchise nearly 20 years ago now, they in turn merged with Carlton consolidating the ownership of all ITV regional franchises with the exception of STV and Grampian TV. Border TV has most definitely not been replaced by BBC Alba. If someone lives in the Border TV broadcast region that's the ITV channel they'll get. Your X Factors, your Coronation Streets and your local regional news will all be broadcast, free to air, on Border TV. BBC Alba is a digital only channel, it's available on Freeview as well as the other digital and satellite broadcasters, but it doesn't replace anyone's ITV channel Gonzo, you're mistaken on that. 

 

In my opinion funding something like BBC Alba, and minority language broadcasting, is exactly what the BBC budget should be spent on. I don't think the BBC should be spending licence fees on chasing Saturday night ratings, they should leave that to the many commercial channels. I mean we can discuss whether a specific Gaelic language TV channel can stem the drop in speakers or whether that requires other governmental involvement, but I'm puzzled why we should criticise it for showing lower league Scottish football, that's being ignored by all other broadcasters currently.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   1 member

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.