Pacific Quay Musings?

Maybe I'm wrong - since I haven't seen that many Scotland games these last few years - but I can't think of that many Rangers players who made the Scottish line-ups of since 2012. So who made up "the best of the rest"? A quick look at the actual stats will probably tell us that most of Scotland's recent failures to qualify for any tournament came when former Yahoo bosses picking loads of current and former Yahoo players who simply did what they usually do on the international stage.

As I see it, McLeish now tests the water and what sort of cataclysmic waves it would send through the media world north of Hadrian's Wall if he actually qualifies with his first attempt ...

Sidenote: What sort of "spine" could the Yahoos actually have provided for the last game? Most of their players' names don't strike me as Scottish?

Edited by der Berliner

4 hours ago, der Berliner said:

Maybe I'm wrong - since I haven't seen that many Scotland games these last few years - but I can't think of that many Rangers players who made the Scottish line-ups of since 2012. So who made up "the best of the rest"? A quick look at the actual stats will probably tell us that most of Scotland's recent failures to qualify for any tournament came when former Yahoo bosses picking loads of current and former Yahoo players who simply did what they usually do on the international stage.

As I see it, McLeish now tests the water and what sort of cataclysmic waves it would send through the media world north of Hadrian's Wall if he actually qualifies with his first attempt ...

Sidenote: What sort of "spine" could the Yahoos actually have provided for the last game? Most of their players' names don't strike me as Scottish?

The media are already looking for big eck. The yahoos reckon if he loses on Tuesday he is already under pressure. It’s just a cavalcade of resentment towards him getting the job, no doubt a consequence of his background.

It might be a little off topic but I'm not comfortable with the 'Granny' rule in international football either. Parents, I think, is different, but one grandparent, who you might never have met, shouldn't make you eligible. I'm no blood and soil nationalist, but representative sport should be representative I think. The nonsense we see in Cricket and Rugby shouldn't be allowed to happen in football, although it is currently in some countries. Oddly, I'd have been more comfortable with someone like Novo playing for Scotland, a guy who came here as a young man, spent almost his entire career here, married and had children locally and stays here now, becoming 'Scottish' rather than some of the players we've brought in through the grandparent rule who clearly have never considered themselves Scottish, lived here or ever will later in life. It's a difficult subject, how a person identifies is a private matter and subject to all sorts of influences, but from a footballing/general representative sport perspective I'd tighten the rules. 

As for the Celtic spine I think it's fair to say, no matter how repulsive he seems, Griffiths is Scotland's best striker currently and would start when fit, likewise I'd expect Armstrong and Teirney to make the starting 11. I'm not sure who else they think should start since Brown quit, again. 

I'm somewhat comfortable with the born & bred - rule, something we see over here in Germany with quite a few players in the German squad, or even Zlatan Ibrahimovic. I'm less comfortable with the granny rule, though I see at least some sense in there. What I simply can't stand is the "adopted citizenship" stuff, e.g. Brazilians turn Portuguese or even North-African, and play for a different nation than their own entirely.  But we digress ...

1 hour ago, pete said:

As someone who has seen his kids brought up in a foreign land, I and my father would have died to see them run out in the blue jersey of Scotland.

It was the proudest moment of my life when my son represented Scotland for the first time....albeit not at football.

The granny rule really is pushing it....however, we aren't blessed (in recent years) with an abundance of Local talent who can compete at International level.  Therefore we need to exploit all options available.

The biggest problem I have seen with Scotland over recent years is a reliance on "old heads" & "experience".....the likes of Broonaldo, Mulgrew etc have failed to get the team anywhere in 20 years, why should it suddenly change now.  

I think a fresh page is required for the team sheet....and a fresh approach to team selection, and I think it would probably help Eck, if he basically came out and said "the decks getting cleared, experienced players have got us nowhere, we're starting with new/fresh/young faces & building for the future."