Pacific Quay Musings?

15 minutes ago, Darthter said:

The granny rule really is pushing it....however, we aren't blessed (in recent years) with an abundance of Local talent who can compete at International level.  Therefore we need to exploit all options available.

The biggest problem I have seen with Scotland over recent years is a reliance on "old heads" & "experience".....the likes of Broonaldo, Mulgrew etc have failed to get the team anywhere in 20 years, why should it suddenly change now.  

I think a fresh page is required for the team sheet....and a fresh approach to team selection, and I think it would probably help Eck, if he basically came out and said "the decks getting cleared, experienced players have got us nowhere, we're starting with new/fresh/young faces & building for the future."

I like your thinking, but is Eck, perhaps, part of the problem (a reliance on "old heads" & "experience"), and not the solution?

49 minutes ago, aweebluesoandso said:

What if 

Or if it happens in the Barras, are you Irish or Scottish lol

what about the British embassy....does that mean you could play for Scotland, England, N. Ireland or Wales???

Why don't we just go down a radical route here and say that we apply the accent test.  They say imitations is a form of respect so why not allow anyone with (or who develops) the Scottish accent to play for us?  If someone really wants to be regarded Scottish, they should speak like us.  I find it strange when people with other accents are interviewed in a Scotland strip.  It doesn't make sense and I'd propose that we draw the line there.

It solves lots of problems.  If someone is born here but speaks with an English, German, Indian, or French accent, do they really want to be Scottish?  I'd suggest not, and are therefore unlikely to play with the passion we need from them.  Equally, if a German or Spaniard (Albertz or Novo for example) arrive and develop their love of the country so much that they start to speak like us, why not allow them to play for us.  They'd play for the jersey.  Of course, they cannot have represented any other country at any other level.  That's just strange too.

We then open up our potential to attract players like Morelos and Candeias too.  I'm sure we could convince them to play for us, and if they agree just start teaching them the lingo.

Problem solved!  You're welcome Mr McLeish.

If you are born in the Channel Islands, you may play for any of the Home Countries, as far as I know. 

Le Saux and Le Tissier played football for England.

Budge Pountney played rugby for Scotland, as his granny hailed from The Channel Islands. (Go figure that one out). 

I am sure that there are other examples. I don't know about the Isle of Man, but assume the same, or similar. 

There was a player from New Caledonia who played for France (Christian Karembeu?), as NC is still part of that country, despite lying some 12 000 miles or thereby away from the mainland, and some 800 miles off the coast of Australia. 

The Falklands, and Gibraltar, on the other hand, seem to have their own teams.

There are literally hundreds of thousands of rugby players in England, yet its National Squad is stiff with foreigners.  (Go figure). 

By comparison, Scotland has about 40K registered players.