Pacific Quay Musings?

1 hour ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Disagree - it's not about gaining a foothold Bill. It is about power and who exercises it. Turn the situation on its head. The BBC used to be viewed by the other ticket as biased in our favour. Did that deter them from trying to infiltrate and use various political agendas to their benefit in order to chip away and eventually assume a large degree of power? No. Look at BBC network sport in London for instance. That was viewed as a Liverpool biased outlet up until fairly recently. Did that stop Mancs joining the organisation? No. All it took was a DG who was educated in the Manchester region to gain power, use political agenda to his advantage and lo and behold BBC Sport is moved wholesale to Media City in Salford.

I don't think that you can close yourself off in the way that you suggest. I can understand why you think in the way that you do though but I think it is ultimately self-defeating. Nature abhors a vacuum. We must make sure that the vacuum isn't exclusively filled by them and their cohorts.

Good luck with that. I’ll watch with interest but won’t be holding my breath

Saturday on Beeb Scotland was one long Yahoo-fest. 

Angela Haggerty made her third appearance on Shereen's show, and her moment of the week was not about ra Sellik, or was it? The new News Editor at Herald Towers flagged up the race for the Deputy Leadership of the SNP. Praise for James Dornan MSP for opting out of the race, to fight the very real problem of sectarianism. Angela can empathise, her troll was arrested, charged, tried, convicted, and sentenced. Let's hope James Dornan's tormentor(s) in organising, 'Smash a F-e-nian Day' are similarly dispatched. We do not want it to end as it has for the ten year old Rangers supporter with a broken jaw, the nine year old Bear with over a dozen head stitches, or the three Yahoos arrested for displaying two hanging effigies at Sellik Park - the Police have suspended their investigations because of a lack of evidence.

Angela feels the dynamic of Indyref 2 has evaporated and one of the candidates, SNP Councillor, Chris McEleny is the very man to put it back on track. Maybe, Angela was heavily influenced by McEleny's filmed puff piece broadcast on BBC Scotland on Friday evening? Chris standing in a smart suit, watching a dozen 8-9 year olds playing football. Most of the lads were replete in a mixture of green'n'grey and all green Sellik strips. Further, it could be that Chris has a social media history of referring to Rangers supporters as, 'H-u-ns'. Actually, Chris has outspoken views on matters Irish republicanism, Trident, Rangers, and has a fashionable affliction, depression! Chris is rawkin' the, 'we are all Neil Lennon' big time. It's the comfortable common currency thing, Angela having edited Phil McFournames book, Chris ticks all her boxes.

Tam Cowan heads off to watch the mighty claret and amber hammer Aberdeen, and BBC Scotland invite Annie McGuire to co-host with BigStu'. Four hours of broadcasting ensues and Annie is the gift that keeps on giving. The first half of Off the Ball has Annie proclaiming, "Celtic is a lovely club, full of ethics". She adds, "Tommy Burns epitomises Celtic, ooooh that red hair". Remember, BigStu' tells us regularly what keeps him awake in his bed at night, is the burning injustice of lack of objectivity. I know my fellow Gersnetters, you will be wanting to be told why BigStu' failed to mention the events of twenty-odd years past? Fergus McCann sacked Lou Macari and was on the look out for a new club boss. The then Killie manager and his deputy(Tommy Burns and Billy Stark) were on family holidays in the Canary Isles. Both interrupted their annual breaks to fly to Manchester Airport and hung around for several hours, until Fergus McCann appeared. They all enjoyed a meal together, and did not talk about being offered managerial positions at ra Sellik by McCann. We know this because all three swore this was case before the official inquiry on allegations of 'tapping up'. All those ethics impinged the ambiance before Tommy and Billy flew back to Tenerife. Ra Sellik were fined £100,000 for tapping-up the red haired Tommy and £50,000 for persuading the curly haired Billy.

Anyways, Annie was swimming in the warm comfortable waters of vicTIMhood and during a discussion on winning prizes she announce, "I won the Herald Forum prize, effectively a job at the newspaper, and me a catholic". Further, she opined, "whatever the minimum wage was then, I was paid way less". Earlier in the show, Annie revealed she was forty. Doing the arithmetic, some twenty years past the Herald had Kevin McKenna, Joan McAlpine, Hugh MacDonald, Ian Paul, Tom Shields, Kate Grant, ......... etc, I suspect Annie has succumbed to False Memory Syndrome? 

Now, last close season, Annie revealed she was lecturing at the University of the West of Scotland. The then departing News Editor at Beeb Scotland, Diarmid O'Hara asked her to accompany him in this new venture. I wonder if Annies faith featured in that invitation? My concern is with those undergraduates subjected to Annie's memory; well, apart from those blessed with red hair. Finally, BigStu' asked Annie whether she was prejudiced more as a St Mirren fan, or as a Sellik supporter? No hesitation, as Annie answered, "without doubt as a Celtic supporter, I've been kettled". 

The second half of the show saw Annie kettled with David Farrell, Hugh MacDonald, and BigStu'. The main topic of conversation was the post split fixtures and the positioning of the remaining old firm match. Farrell wanted his beloved Celts to draw with Hibs, so they could clinch the title against Rangers. Annie was up for that, but Hugh took it further, pointing out the sequence of results that could see Rangers finish fourth or fifth. Murmurs of approval alleviated the kettling experience. I will leave with the quote of the day and the wonderment of the degree of comfort they all comfortably sat. Obviously, the events of May'99 at Sellik Park surfaced momentarily, David Farrell said, I was at that game, it was a strange thing". Maybe when Tam returns, he can tell them of the assaults on the house and family of fellow Well fan, Hugh Dallas that night?  

As stated above by Frankie, Thunder Stealer extraordinaire. We must remember both Billy and Thommo are trailing heavy EBTs behind them, it's a hard gig? Billy's insight from the PQ studio was hilarious, Cummings is not a striker, he doesn't know where to play him, at the age of 26, can he be coached to play in the right areas? Big Dick wonders aloud, can Rangers afford him, before announcing he has only turned 22. 

Big Stu' made an even bigger cnut of himself on both halves of his show. Apparently, the SPFL computer is programmed to ensure Rangers and Rangers supporters avoid humiliation. We have such influence that ensured the scheduling of the last old firm game of the season. Tam intervened with, if such influence was at work, why didn't the computer schedule the match for the fifth match day? No answer from Big Stu', but it did not prevent him ranting the same pysh for a couple of minutes post results. Still, Soulful Saintee knows three Rangers supporters who were all season ticket holders, but no longer attend because Rangers are not the same club. See us Rangers supporters, see the influence we exert?

The final word on the weekend goes to Hugh MacDonald, asked by Jeff Webster what he had focused on this last sporting week? Pensioner Hugh announced, "oh just the usual pantomime, farce, and drama that is Rangers". 

So Frankie stole the thunder from the BBC Thunderbox.

An unpleasant job, monitoring its output, therefore one is surprised to see two such estimable fellows prepared to do it. 

We must be thankful to you both for your vigilance.

There was an interesting interlude at half time around Naismith being booed for, and I paraphrase "the crime of putting his family and his career first" as Richard Gordon put it. Now, I don't hold any antipathy towards Naismith and don't blame him for leaving, but if Gordon doesn't realise he's booed for his comments following his departure rather than the departure itself then he's really not doing his job very well. Considering how much time they spend talking about Rangers you'd think they might invite someone on who understands us. Of course no other club's supporters have ever booed an ex-player when they've returned to play them. Ever. 

Confession time. In a previous life I knew Annie McGuire, she was actually all right.  

Edited by JohnMc

Tommy Burns - a man who insisted a suspected child molester retain his job at the Paedodome despite serious allegations having been made and investigations being carried out at that exact time.