What is wrong with some people - Reactions to Yvonne Dorrans twitter post

6 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

Twitter,Facebook and other such sites,although they might have good points they are toxic and I will never be a part of them.

Facebook messenger is good for group work etc. I use it for that (although Whatsapp is preferable) but that’s all. I can’t be bothered with all the “look at me I’m shallow as f@&k” stuff that’s on Facebook. Twitter is ok for keeping up with updates and getting your news first. Whatever source is of interest to you just follow them for their releases. I’m not important enough to be continually on twitter and couldn’t be bothered either.

17 hours ago, Big Jaws said:

Its not a storm in a teacup since I'm not sensationalising any of it and I'm certainly no pearl clutcher either Craig mate. I'm merely drawing attention to these behaviours and asking the question, why is it OK? Incidentally I'm also including our own supporters in my critique too.

As I said above there are some snide, smart arse comments some particularly vitriolic comments and there are a bunch of bears commenting too. I'm asking what our opinions are on whether being the wife of a Rangers player is enough justification to leave her open to random strangers confirmation and also at times acerbic narcissism. I'm attempting to discuss whether its just the nature of twitter or if it is because she is a Rangers player wife that has lead to a distinct lack of boundaries and respect?

If she didn't want any unwarranted attention, both positive and negative, then she could have not posted the picture.  The people that she would actually want seeing such a picture should be, IMHO, family and friends - and she should have their contact details to be able to do so.

As cooponthewing says, these social media sites are very much "look at me" platforms.  I deleted facebook a few years ago because I was tired of seeing/reading what people had made for dinner or when they last went to the shitter - and then you have your own circle of friends who then talk incessantly about "did you see what XXXXXX posted on facebook" etc - was the best decision I ever made in all honesty - I have NEVER missed facebook - I have family and friends telling me I should get back on it.... but I am much happier with how I now spend my time - instead of spending hours on facebook I can hit the gym, worry about myself instead of concerning myself with others.

These platforms are open sourced, unless you make them private - which is very easy to do - so, for Yvonne Dorrans, if she doesn't want the attention or the negativity then she could easily make her twitter account private and restrict it to those she actually wants to see such images.  It looks to me like a "look at me" post she made.  Nothing wrong with that but if you wish to draw attention to yourself then be prepared for the bad AND the good.

Whether or not people should be posting comments about "jaikeys" or people being a "waste of space" is, IMHO, an entirely different conversation.  The anonymity of the internet is both a wonderful and terrible thing.  People have to look at their own conscience and determine if their posts reflect who they really are as a person and whether or not they wish to be like that in real life.

The lack of boundaries and respect on social media platforms crosses many topics, interests, divides, religions, groups etc - it isn't just because she is a Rangers player's wife that boundaries and respect are being ignored - it happens to many thousands of people daily on facebook, twitter, Instagram etc etc.

9 hours ago, craig said:

If she didn't want any unwarranted attention, both positive and negative, then she could have not posted the picture.  The people that she would actually want seeing such a picture should be, IMHO, family and friends - and she should have their contact details to be able to do so.

As cooponthewing says, these social media sites are very much "look at me" platforms.  I deleted facebook a few years ago because I was tired of seeing/reading what people had made for dinner or when they last went to the shitter - and then you have your own circle of friends who then talk incessantly about "did you see what XXXXXX posted on facebook" etc - was the best decision I ever made in all honesty - I have NEVER missed facebook - I have family and friends telling me I should get back on it.... but I am much happier with how I now spend my time - instead of spending hours on facebook I can hit the gym, worry about myself instead of concerning myself with others.

These platforms are open sourced, unless you make them private - which is very easy to do - so, for Yvonne Dorrans, if she doesn't want the attention or the negativity then she could easily make her twitter account private and restrict it to those she actually wants to see such images.  It looks to me like a "look at me" post she made.  Nothing wrong with that but if you wish to draw attention to yourself then be prepared for the bad AND the good.

Whether or not people should be posting comments about "jaikeys" or people being a "waste of space" is, IMHO, an entirely different conversation.  The anonymity of the internet is both a wonderful and terrible thing.  People have to look at their own conscience and determine if their posts reflect who they really are as a person and whether or not they wish to be like that in real life.

The lack of boundaries and respect on social media platforms crosses many topics, interests, divides, religions, groups etc - it isn't just because she is a Rangers player's wife that boundaries and respect are being ignored - it happens to many thousands of people daily on facebook, twitter, Instagram etc etc.

That is a bit like saying a woman who wears a mini-skirt deserves to be raped.

On 2/5/2018 at 04:19, Gonzo79 said:

Social media is oddly (given it's name) detrimental to society.  

Nail on head. It should be called Antisocial media. People dont speak anymore. Its fine for people you wouldnt regularly see but when its your best mates / family etc it goes too far.

Ive never been on Twitter, wouldnt know how to use it. The Hash Tag stuff also ruining real alphabet.

Wow, some spectacular extrapolations going on in this thread. 

BigJaws, why do some people think it's okay to sing about the Ibrox Disaster, the death of the Lisbon Lions, pedophilia, a soldier brutally murdered in the street, Northern Irish murder gangs, the physical attractiveness of a player's wife or girlfriend, or their sexual morals, the death of a former player or the sexuality of a TV presenter? Social media isn't responsible for the ability of some people to lose all sense of perspective and reason when football allegiances are involved. That's been happening for generations. Social media has simply provided another outlet for it, one where anonymity is actually less likely than before. 

My great grandfather was a professional footballer and apparently my great grandmother only went to watch him play once as she couldn't stand the abuse that was being shouted at him. This was shortly before WW1. 

Some people are dicks when football enters the equation. Those same people are probably fairly normal in most other parts of their lives. But it's always been that way in my opinion. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting social media has seen the advent of abusive or rude behaviour - far from it.  It just makes it a lot easier. 

I get public transport to work - no-one at the tram or bus stop talks, no one on the tram or bus talks either.  Families don't talk as much as they used to at home and neighbours hardly know each other.  Social media is responsible for exacerbating these social ills (which were already creeping in anyway).  

And shouting abuse at an opposition footballer whilst attending a match isn't quite the same as making abusive comments to a player's wife on the internet.