Home Socks Question

It was indeed.  Although I wasn't around but do have a cracking retro crew neck shirt (best football shirt of all time). 

I'm assuming Jock Wallace decided to go back to black socks with red tops in '74...but that's just a guess.

Edited by Gonzo79

2 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

It was indeed.  Although I wasn't around but do have a cracking retro crew neck shirt (best football shirt of all time). 

I'm assuming Jock Wallace decided to go back to black socks with red tops in '74...but that's just a guess.

Of course when arranging new strip contracts when we went from V neck to crew neck somebody will have seen the opportunity to bring in extra cash due to the amount of red and black socks that would have been kicking around the various sports shops at that time. 

Later, given the character of the man, I've no doubt Jock had a say in the matter.

At the time it was said that the change was made because there was a theory that white in the socks made it easier to pick out team-mates to whom to pass.  Studies had been done on this.   Unfortunately, I cannot remember who it was amongst our staff who said this but I presume it was the manager.

Surely it's directors that make a decision like this? I mean coaching staff and even the manager might make the suggestion but the directors 'own' the club and they decide what we wear. Today, UEFA and domestic leagues have a say in strips too. 

Yes, JohnMc, I would imagine that is the case. However, if the manager, or indeed anyone, tells the directors such a change will increase the chances of success then they are likely to go along with the proposal, I'd have thought. Especially at that time when we were so desperate to catch you know who (who wore white socks).

I remember reading it (the bit about the benefits of white) in a piece trying to allay criticism from 'traditionalists'.  

I'm afraid it is all a bit vague though.  Well, I read it about 50 years ago and wasn't expecting a question on it, to be fair to me.  

It's also, vague though it be, a clearer memory than 5 days ago!

Edited by SteveC
form -> from