8 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Aye, they need the money, the plaudits, new fans and increased revenue streams badly.  

The money at the top end and the way of going about business is a real turn-off for me when it comes to following 'general football'.

A good example of the worst of this is Neymar and his antics at PSG, who seem to bend over backwards at the players whim.

2 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's turning into just another commercial business, which totally defeats the original point of football.  

David Conn's book, 'Richer Than God' really opened my eyes to how ugly it all is.  

It only mirrors some of the changes in society over the decades.

Football is an incredibly popular vehicle that was always going to be squeezed and the distribution of wealth was always going to be evermore skewed.

9 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

It's turning into just another commercial business, which totally defeats the original point of football.  

David Conn's book, 'Richer Than God' really opened my eyes to how ugly it all is.  

Certainly ugly. Who’s to blame?

Impossible to pinpoint the blame.  There are many factors involved.  

Anything popular is taken advantage of by the money men, that's just life.  

I'm doing my bit by telling my kid he can't 'support' Barcelona and is certainly getting none of their merchandise, as well as taking him to any matches where my hometown (non-league) team play in Edinburgh.

Edited by Gonzo79

I think Mardona was better than Messi. He carried Napoli who were no giants of the game to multiple Italian league titles.

Napoli had never won a title before and just a few years prior to his arrival had been in a relegation battle. I feel that is more impressive than winning titles and trophies with Barcelona. 

He carried a distinctly average Argentina team to a 1986 world cup win.  Something Messi couldn't manage.

Throughout the tournament, Maradona asserted his dominance and was the most dynamic player of the tournament. He played every minute of every Argentina game, scoring five goals and making five assists, three of those in the opening match against South Korea at the Olimpico Universitario Stadium in Mexico City.

And of course the 'goal of the century' in the same tournament.