Graeme Murty looks back on the defeat to Celtic.

24 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

Do you think he deserves the gig at the end of the season Ian?

Tough one! what any off us think won't matter.

If you step back from the result against the scum we have improved big time, Murty seems to also be getting the best out of the players who were already here , he has also had a good January transfer window and has us playing the kind of football we all want to see he has also had a good January transfer window.

He is learning as well. I am glad we never got McInnes from the sheep,£1m + was what was spoken about to get him from the sheep. 

I can't think of any manager I would want to take the Rangers job? but then I don't watch much football other than Rangers! I don't see many names flying about either.

Should he get the job full time? I personally think he is doing well, he has a good relationship with the players & DOF, will a new manager have the same? if we win the Scottish cup and finish the league in a comfortable 2nd place he might get it? if we don't win the cup I am not sure?.

46 minutes ago, Waltersgotstyle said:

Do you think he deserves the gig at the end of the season Ian?

It's a tough call with absolutely no guarantees whichever way the board leans or whoever gets the job if it's not Murty. The bottom line is he has to get over the hurdle of beating Celtic. No Rangers manager can ever be successful if he lives in Parkhead's shadow.

Just now, compo said:

You need a long plan stick with the current set up 

I think that is what I am trying to say! Murty has done a great job, he is intelligent, a good coach. I think most fans are concerned with his lack of subs being used earlier, while I agree with that not many managers are much better. He brought in Jimmy Nicholl as an experienced man to help him, is Jimmy telling him to make early subs as well?.

We are still a work in progress and we need stability.

No gulf war

Ex-Rangers defender Sergio Porrini believes Gers have closed the gap on Celtic.. and next season will be much closer

Over 50,000 looked on from the stands on Sunday and despite tasting defeat, the Italian reckons Light Blues fans will have left feeling positive about the future.

HE hadn’t been in Glasgow since the day he left Rangers 17 years ago.

But on Sunday Sergio Porrini sat at Ibrox and felt like he had never been away.

The former Gers defender jetted in to watch the Old Firm clash with his wife Barbara and eldest daughter Lucrezia.

He had read all about his old team’s financial demise from his home on the outskirts of Milan.

It had left him wondering just what sort of challenge Graeme Murty’s men would put up.

But the Italian flew home on Tuesday, satisfied at having seen Gers push the Hoops all the way.

It might not quite have been the sort of affair he played in during his four years under Walter Smith and Dick Advocaat.

But Porrini, 49, said: “I must admit I thought the gap was bigger between the two teams.

“I think the match on Sunday showed Rangers are very close now. They have closed that gap on Celtic.

“I think they just need maybe three or four more players with good skill and ability to really allow them to stay at the same level as Celtic.

“If they can do that then next season they can be even closer. With the way the match went at Ibrox, Rangers could quite easily have won. They had the chances to go 3-2 up.

“They missed a great chance, so I think next year it will be much closer.”

Over 50,000 looked on from the stands on Sunday. And despite tasting defeat, Porrini reckons Gers fans will have left feeling positive about the future.

He said: “Ibrox was the same as when I played there. It seemed like I had never been away. It was very, very emotional.

“Of course a lot has happened to Rangers in those 17 years since I left but it felt the same.

“The Rangers fans love their team. I think maybe now they realise they are getting close to Celtic.

“Maybe now it’s a sort of pain relief for them. It hasn’t been easy being a Rangers fan. They have been relegated and saw Celtic winning the leagues without any opponent.

“Now they realise they are getting close again and will be a good opponent for Celtic in  seasons to come.”

Porrini was a serial winner as part of a star-studded Juventus team, lifting the Champions League, two Serie A titles and the Italian Cup.

But after losing the Champions League Final in 1997 he craved a new challenge and jumped at the chance to join Gers.

He would go on to win two league titles, a Scottish Cup and Scottish League Cup.

But when his contract ran out in 2001, then boss Advocaat didn’t push to keep him and he returned to his homeland to play for Alessandria.

He has since stepped into the dugout, having a spell as assistant manager at Atalanta and most recently managing local side AC Crema.

But circumstances meant he had never made it back to the city where Lucrezia was born.

So it was a special time showing her around the place and allowing her to sample the atmosphere of a packed Ibrox.

Porrini, looking to return to management, added: “It’s been emotional coming back here. I left 17 years ago and I had never been back.

“It was beautiful going to Ibrox and being able to think back to what happened to me 20 years ago.

“When you see Ibrox full of people supporting Rangers you feel like you were a very lucky man to be a part of that football club.

“My family enjoyed being here. My daughter was born here and was really happy to see all the places my wife and I have talked about. She was really excited to discover where she was born.

“I definitely won’t be waiting another 17 years to come back again.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2358837/