Ray Wilkins suffers cardiac arrest and left fighting for his life

PRAY FOR RAY

Ex-Rangers midfielder Ray Wilkins suffers cardiac arrest and left fighting for his life in induced coma in hospital

The former Gers man fell seriously ill in hospital in Tooting, London as tributes poured in on social media for him on Friday night

By Sunni Upal
30th March 2018, 10:54 pm
Updated: 30th March 2018, 11:14 pm

FORMER Rangers midfielder Ray Wilkins was fighting for his life on Friday night after suffering cardiac arrest.

The Daily Mail report that the 61-year-old ex-England internationalist was placed in an induced coma at St George’s Hospital in Tooting, London.

Wilkins is thought to have fallen and hit his head after his heart stopped.

His son Ross told the Mail on Friday night: “I hope everyone can respect the family’s wishes over privacy at this very difficult time for us.

“It’s touch and go whether my father will get through this.”

Wilkins signed for the Gers in 1987 and played 70 times for the Ibrox outfit, scoring twice.

He played 84 times for England, captaining 10 times and scoring three goals.

He was also recently on Chelsea’s back-room staff under Luiz Felipe Scolari, Guus Hiddink and Carlo Ancelotti.

Tributes poured in on social media for Wilkins on Friday night.

One Twitter post read: “Doesn’t sound good for Ray Wilkins hope he pulls through. Thoughts are with his family and friends.”

Another social media user commented: “Hope Ray Wilkins recovers, could listen to him talk football all day.”

Another post said: “Just heard the news about Ray Wilkins. Hopefully makes a full recovery. What a player,what a man.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2439566/ray-wilkins-rangers-cardiac-arrest/

I heard him on talkSPORT with Brazil the other morning. He sounded in good form and seemingly good health? Awful news and totally out the blue. Great player and his volley v mhanks at inbox is an all time old firm great goal for us. Thoughts with his family and we are all wishing him a speedy recovery.

17 minutes ago, pete said:

Unfortunately your artery's closing is a slow process and unless you put your heart constantly  under stress by sport or climbing stairs or hills you will probably never feel it or not know what you are feeling. I have had luck twice that I felt I had problems and knew what it was. I suggest that people regularly climb stairs instead of taking the lift or make your heart work in another way  and if you feel heartburn every time or pressure in your throat jaw or arm then go and see a doctor. It can be heartburn but closing artery's feel exactly the same.

A heart attack is different to a cardiac arrest though, with a heart attack you begin to feel unwell and then builds up to a heart attack, with a cardiac arrest it is swift and not really the heart, a cardiac arrest is best described like a pace maker, the body has a natural pace maker, electrical pulse type of thing, when that goes wrong it is instant and isn't really anything to do with fitness, that is why you hear about young fit athletes suffering cardiac arrest.