What's Happened to the Jukebox Thread?

3 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Their first album is okay, in a pub sing-a-long sort of way but She's Electric is a definite low-point (dreadful lyrics and a boring melody).  

I'm not the biggest fan of Oasis myself, incidentally. There isn't sufficint anarchy in it for me. However. the ability to turn fairly ordinary lyrics into something iconic that everyone wants to sing is no easy feat. It's fine to not look a band or part of their body of work, but they wrote more than a few classics that will outlive them, which is more than you can say for most contemporary bands. But I'm stuck in the pre 90s past anyway.

1 hour ago, bmck said:

Stoogies - Passenger then, still the same chords :D

The Passenger is an Iggy Pop song (released well after The Stooges broke up).  

You can take three chords and write a great song and someone else could take the same three chords and write a shit song.  That's one of the great things about music.  

Edited by Gonzo79

9 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

The Passenger is an Iggy Pop song (released well after The Stooges broke up).  

You can take three chords and write a great song and someone else could take the same three chords and write a shit song.  That's one of the great things about music.  

I will grant you the pedantry on the basis of Franc correcting me on the chords. And yes, almost all songs are made of the same sequences, it's in the mathematical nature of music. Was giving you a solid counter example to see if you managed to keep your sea legs hearing it.  ;)

Edited by bmck

9 hours ago, Franc Ergs said:

If  Am - F - C - E is the same as E -G# -C#m - A , the yes ,they are the same chords 🤓  .

Hairy doos, I was probably just thinking of the rhythm.

50 minutes ago, bmck said:

I was probably just thinking of the rhythm.

The rhythm guitar on both songs is quite different.  She's Electric has a bog-standard, plodding rhythm guitar, whereas The Passenger has a distinctive staccato thing going on, which is the main hook.

5 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

The rhythm guitar on both songs is quite different.  She's Electric has a bog-standard, plodding rhythm guitar, whereas The Passenger has a distinctive staccato thing going on, which is the main hook.

On the scale of 1 to a google, what do you think the chances are of me getting into an argument about whether that one rhythm is reminscent of the other?

2 hours ago, bmck said:

On the scale of 1 to a google, what do you think the chances are of me getting into an argument about whether that one rhythm is reminscent of the other?

I got the chords from 'Ralph McTell's 100 easy guitar tunes', ..i'm not so sure now 😀 .

Edited by Franc Ergs

23 hours ago, bmck said:

I'm not the biggest fan of Oasis myself, incidentally. There isn't sufficint anarchy in it for me. However. the ability to turn fairly ordinary lyrics into something iconic that everyone wants to sing is no easy feat. It's fine to not look a band or part of their body of work, but they wrote more than a few classics that will outlive them, which is more than you can say for most contemporary bands. But I'm stuck in the pre 90s past anyway.

Was never a fan, just didn't get them, but I suppose I wasn't part of the demographic they were aiming at. I could see how people got them, and even as someone who didn't like them, I have to admit the had some very good songs. 

Whilst performing a clear out about a year ago, I discovered I owned 2 Oasis albums on CD. Can't remember purchasing them (they were still wrapped) and on listening to them, they were both listenable.

Neither will be top of my playlist but given both Gallagher brothers are (imo) twats, never gonna be my fave band. Had a work mate who was really into them and used to wind him up by saying that if rating them against other Manchester bands, they'd be bellow M People and just above Simply Red 😀