The next manager has a few problems to deal with.

I'm looking at transfermarkt and, if the information is correct, it looks like we will retain the services of most of the squad for many years to come.

Some of the players that I would like to see move on:

• Hodson (Contracted until 2019)
  • Cardoso (Contracted until 2020)
  • Halliday (Contracted until 2020)
  • Holt (Contracted until 2020)
  • Dodoo (Contracted until 2020)
  • O'Halloran (Contracted until 2020)
  • Herrera (Contracted until 2020)
  • Carlos Peña (Contracted until 2020*)

Maybe a new manager could get something out of Cardoso or O'Halloran but I would rather replace them with fresh faces.  Holt and Halliday can go without hard feelings from me.  Both have played a part but we need better and we need to move on.

A couple of other players that may be a problem

• Dorrans (Contracted until 2020)
  • Rossiter (Contracted until 2020)
  • Alves (Contracted until 2019)

Dorrans does not look like he can contribute too much in the position he is being asked to play.  Maybe he can contribute more when used differently.  Rossiter has contributed little so far but I accept he has potential while others don't.  Alves is 36.  Given the difficulties that he has had with injuries I expect that he might contribute less next season.  He is only here for one more though so I wouldn't be too concerned if he continued.

The length of some of these contracts is quite incredible.  I find it hard to believe that Warburton's decision to sign Hodson will hinder us for another year still!  Dodoo is quite alarming too.  He has a long contract and I'm not sure why he was awarded it.  He had played only a handful of games prior to signing for us.

The next manager will either have to figure out how to get more out of these players or how to move them on.  We already have a large squad and we are already acquiring more players.

* I'm pretty sure Carlos Peña is contracted for another two seasons but I didn't get this from transfermarkt.

This is a major problem for any incoming manager. They will all be using up part of his budget which could be put to much better use

None of these players would get their Rangers wages elsewhere.

Moving these players on will not be easy. They are all deadwood.

However this is one of the reasons we now have a DoF.

7 minutes ago, RANGERRAB said:

Moving these players on will not be easy. They are all deadwood.

However this is one of the reasons we now have a DoF.

Quite. 

I'll be looking on with interest to see if Allen can move them on and whether or not he can avoid awarding such contracts.

Undoubtedly, some will require to be paid off in full. Others will be financially induced to go and some will leave willingly to get on with their careers. On this subject, Rangers seem to be at the mercy of concerted poor decision making, neccessitating pay offs with tedious regularity. Think of guys like Emerson and Nuno Capucho who needed paying off to go. Others like Pippo Maneiro weren't difficult to deal with.

No doubt Niko got a few quid to go but probably wasn't too stubborn. Whether Alves and Peña dig their heels in remains to be seen. McParland saddled us with a lot of these guys who were never good enough to begin with and conned the board into believing that he and his pal Mark were unearthing rough diamonds which could realise a good profit i.e. Dodoo. Let's hope Mark Allen doesn't provide us with similar mediocrity which will in all likelihood divert scarce resources to clear the decks for yet another wholesale rebuild.

Edited by Soulsonic5791