Can England win the World Cup?

Being of an age when there was a real and proper rivalry = hopefully not

Of course in those days the ultimate would have been a Scottish World Cup triumph which now is a  repulsive, as well as ludicrous, concept

Edited by SteveC

The answer to this question is obviously yes. England has great players. What are the odds of that happening is a better question. Probably very slim, but you never know.

Edited by Pomeroy

The problem with them is that they think because they have the self-named best league in the world, and all their players are home-based, that they should be up there with the very best in World football.

My issue with that is the best players in every team (Spurs apart) are not the English ones. The nest English players in every team are nowhere near as good in comparison.

I cannot think of a decent English centre-half pairing (Smalling, Stones etc are nowhere near World class level) and they are not creative enough in midfield as they continue with plodders like Henderson. They dont have a world class keeper, and while they have a very good striker in Kane, he is not at the same level as Ronaldo, Messi, Neymar, etc

If they can get out their groups (should happen) it could depend on how the draw shapes up, but I cant see them getting past the quarters no matter who they play. That should be looked at as a decent tournament for them.