Paul Murray And Barry Scott Resign

I think it is unfortunate that Barry Scott left but I am looking at it in a positive light. Paul Murray was never going to invest big in the company so he was in it really just for the ride. All the signs are that a big change is coming. The people who seem to know things on a regular basis are all saying a bigger investor is coming in and things happening seem to be pointing to that. Yes I am going positive.

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

Paul Murray is a chartered accountant, which is another reason to worry for me. He has pledged that the club won't get into financial trouble again. Negotiations resume with Gerrard tomorrow - who we know is seeking financial assurances - and the board will have been debating how much to promise him in the transfer market. My best guess is the majority of board members are planning to promise him an amount Paul Murray thought would put the club in financial danger.

That’s his professional background but used these skills to run investment banking at deutschebank in the City. If I was going to have a guess (and given Barry Scott resigned as well) I would suggest it is more to do with the Gerard appointment and how money should be invested. There may be disagreement in how the Gerard management offer is being structured with respect to investment or there may be disagreement in giving an inexperienced manager (and all the influence in investment he will have) the job. All guesswork but the timing would suggest that is the issue. I doubt it’s anything to do with TOP. No one would resign over that. 

1 hour ago, DMAA said:

Paul Murray is a chartered accountant, which is another reason to worry for me. He has pledged that the club won't get into financial trouble again. Negotiations resume with Gerrard tomorrow - who we know is seeking financial assurances - and the board will have been debating how much to promise him in the transfer market. My best guess is the majority of board members are planning to promise him an amount Paul Murray thought would put the club in financial danger.

Aren't you a ray of sunshine. :)

I suppose our recent history means that many of our fans will think the worst when we see announcements like this, but the levels of madness on here are incredible.  There can't be anyone on here who seriously believes that we don't need an injection of new blood on the board.  I don't think the statement could have been any clearer in demonstrating that there's no issue here.  Does anyone not believe that?  We are expecting some changes which have been rumoured for a few months so it's no surprise we need to make room for some additions to the boardroom.  Normally a change of NED is not a reflection of arguments, or disputes, but rather that the purpose for which that NED was required is no longer a priority for the business.  I would assume that Murray contributed greatly to helping resolving our disputes with the previous regime.  I'm sure he's looking forward to being able to watch the games as a supporter again.  Thanks to both for their contribution, but again this is a non story.  It really must be a slow news week.

Edited by Gaffer

8 minutes ago, Walterbear said:

That’s his professional background but used these skills to run investment banking at deutschebank in the City. If I was going to have a guess (and given Barry Scott resigned as well) I would suggest it is more to do with the Gerard appointment and how money should be invested. There may be disagreement in how the Gerard management offer is being structured with respect to investment or there may be disagreement in giving an inexperienced manager (and all the influence in investment he will have) the job. All guesswork but the timing would suggest that is the issue. I doubt it’s anything to do with TOP. No one would resign over that. 

I think it's more likely to be the polar opposite and related to ability or willingness to commit to a minimum investment in a new share issue. The bar may simply be too high for some.

7 minutes ago, Gaffer said:

I don't think the statement could have been any clearer in demonstrating that there's no issue here.  Does anyone not believe that?

The resignations are unexplained. If it was to make space for new investors, why on earth wouldn't you announce that in one go? Rather than inviting the press to fill the vacuum with a flurry of negative headlines (which they haven't disappointed with).

Edited by DMAA