Jump to content

 

 

The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, ian1964 said:

 

 

That would be the fist real bit of information after Mark Allen's comments after the season closed. Well, hope dies last. Methinks 600k were mentioned when we first signed him, now Forest wants 1m. Given that Forest paid Hibs 900k ... well, well.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I'd take Cummings as a squad player but not at £1m.

I don't get the thing that so many have for this lad.

 

He scored goals in the Scottish Championship for Hibs and looked a promising player.

He got a move to the English Championship and couldn't establish himself.

He then got a loan to Rangers and couldn't establish himself.

 

He has got some talent but the signs so far are that he won't hack it at a high level (ie. where we want to go).

 

IMO he's the level for a top tier Scottish side in the bottom half of the top six (3rd - 6th) and won't ever get better.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he's suffered from not playing regularly over the last year or so.  You could see he was never quite fully fit or sharp during his loan and it's a pity we didn't try to play him more often.

 

There's no doubt he has some talent and, depending on the system we're going to play, I'd rather have him playing for us than elsewhere.

 

As it stands we have Morelos as our main striker and I suspect we'll sign someone else of a similar style who can lead the line and link the play under physical pressure.  That's not Cummings (so he'd arguably be third choice - or limited to playing a wider role) but I still think he'd be a useful signing for games where we need goals.  The difficulty is giving him enough game-time to keep him sharp so he can provide those goals and there's always the argument Hardie could provide the same back-up for free.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Frankie said:

I think he's suffered from not playing regularly over the last year or so.  You could see he was never quite fully fit or sharp during his loan and it's a pity we didn't try to play him more often.

 

There's no doubt he has some talent and, depending on the system we're going to play, I'd rather have him playing for us than elsewhere.

 

As it stands we have Morelos as our main striker and I suspect we'll sign someone else of a similar style who can lead the line and link the play under physical pressure.  That's not Cummings (so he'd arguably be third choice - or limited to playing a wider role) but I still think he'd be a useful signing for games where we need goals.  The difficulty is giving him enough game-time to keep him sharp so he can provide those goals and there's always the argument Hardie could provide the same back-up for free.

 

 

Good points.

 

I think he's the type who will do well at an Aberdeen, Hearts or Hibs but won't ever esablish himself at a bigger cub.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess part of the equation for Cummings is, is he any better than Hardie in reality?  We've given Hardie another year and you would imagine that for a back-up/ third striker, that slot is his subject to whatever happens in the remainder of the window.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's very difficult for us to make a judgment on Cummings. I think we saw he had a goalscoring instinct that Morelos doesn't have in his short time with us, which would suggest he'd do well alongside a Morelos type of player. I think it was unfortunate we didn't get to see that.

 

The problem just now is that the fan's expectations are sky high so everyone is confident we can bring someone in who is better but at this stage don't know that. £1m doesn't get you much these days and on balance it still looks a decent price to me. Remember Garner cost £1.8m.

Edited by DMAA
Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DMAA said:

I think it's very difficult for us to make a judgment on Cummings. I think we saw he had a goalscoring instinct that Morelos doesn't have in his short time with us, which would suggest he'd do well alongside a Morelos type of player. I think it was unfortunate we didn't get to see that.

 

The problem just now is that the fan's expectations are sky high so everyone is confident we can bring someone in who is better but at this stage don't know that. £1m doesn't get you much these days and on balance it still looks a decent price to me. Remember Garner cost £1.8m.

It really depends on how Gerrard is thinking about setting his team up.

 

If it's one up top then Cummings becomes a bit of a luxury, when our money surely has to go towards necessities.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, buster. said:

It really depends on how Gerrard is thinking about setting his team up.

 

If it's one up top then Cummings becomes a bit of a luxury, when our money surely has to go towards necessities.

 

 

Agree with that. It's all down to budget and allocating it carefully so that it improves the starting line-up as much as possible. So far that appears to have been done with big money spent on 2 centre backs.

 

Watching England last night I couldn't help but think we lack pacey players to get in behind like Sterling, Lingard, Rashford, Alli. A player like that makes life easy for your creative midfielder because whether it's a quick incisive through ball or a chip over the top your man will get to it first 9 times out of 10 and suddenly you're in a really good attacking position. However our best chance of a player like that would probably be a loan.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Struggling to see the attraction of Cummings. If NF play silly buggers, move on. Maybe move on anyway. There are far better options out there than Jason Cummings. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Rousseau changed the title to The Summer 2018 Transfer Window Rumours and Deals
  • Frankie locked this topic
  • Frankie unpinned this topic

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.