[FT] Rangers 1 (Goldson 41) - 0 FC Ufa

This is Ufa's first ever European tie where they play away from home in the first leg.

I think we may see the bus or Iron Curtain getting parked on the edge of the penalty area.

In the first leg of the first tie, they decided to use the Walter Smith book of European tactics and only managed two shots on target in a 0-0 home draw. They went behind in the second leg but had enough about them to come back and get the late away goal (a la Panathonaikis 2008).

In the next tie, I watched part of the game and it wasn't that difficult to breach the Progres defence but in their excitement left the backdoor open on a number of occasions but where only punished with one late away goal. Showed a degree of naivity.

In the second leg they went behind twice but again had enough about them to get the late away goal that took them through.

So in their four games to date, they've only been ahead in one of them, for 62 minutes in the first game aainst Progres.

So thus far,  they have got a lot from not a lot. 

Thu 26/07/18 UEL Ufa 0 - 0 Domžale   More info
Thu 02/08/18 UEL Domžale 1 - 1 Ufa View events More info
Thu 09/08/18 UEL Ufa 2 - 1 Progrès Niederkorn View events More info
Thu 16/08/18 UEL Progrès Niederkorn 2 - 2 Ufa  

A quick look at their home and away record highlights the importance of tonight's game.

The home-away difference will be far greater for us since we face a gruelling 9 and a half hour flight (from Edinburgh) for the away leg which is almost identical to flying to Astana, where Celtic lost 4-3 last season after hammering them 5-0 in the first leg.

Away.JPG

Home.JPG

Edited by DMAA

25 minutes ago, ian1964 said:

Ian, thanks for that.

Highlight for me is the start of the tunnel, 'the Wall of Fame' is caught on camera for a few seconds. Brings back bright memories of a dark period. Myself a few mates walked from deepest, darkest Lanarkshire to Ibrox that Sunday morning, then did the mile around the Stadium. We raised a few grand to throw into the pot being utilised to pay club debts. I headed off to Washington DC later that afternoon, feeling we still had a club. 

I remember that game , it still brings back the horrors , also the shambles in athens , when Durie and Laudrup were through on the goalie and Durie royally screwed it up.

If I also remember correctly , we had big Dunc out wide left , one of Watties more bizarre formations .
Boli at right back.

At that time we finished many games with hatley and super in the middle with dunk wide left and durie wide right.

Worked in scotland not europe

Was it not against AEK that Wattie had another brainwave, to play Gary Stevens on the left of a back 3?.
I loved GS, but he was done after that game.
Aek was at the start of the laudrup era. Was bolis debut at home i think.

I dont think we still hat gary stevens then.