Rangers staff risk stoking sectarianism hints Glasgow council boss Susan Aitken

1 hour ago, Scott7 said:

I wonder if Bill on reflection might have said a Unionists’ club.

I wonder if there had been no celtic might the traditions of Rangers supporters been different.

Darth’s reason for supporting Rangers is entirely correct.

Like many ScotNats, Darther demonstrates a need to be victimised. In a last ditch effort to avoid Darther's myth becoming part of accepted truth, let me reiterate ... no one, at all, has , ever, said that Darther cannot be a Rangers supporter and a SNP voter/member. There is clearly nothing to stop him and no one, at all, has, ever, said otherwise, however much Darther wants to believe they have.

What has been said is that there is a contradiction between having the interests of Rangers at heart while also promulgating the cause of a political party that has long shown a loathing of the Rangers community. It's a contradiction I couldn't own and one that (it seems to me) can only be accommodated by pretence on one side or the other. Further, having taken this view, I hardly think it's a massive leap to conclude the reason for the SNP attitude is the unionist tradition of the Rangers community. That's my view, I'm happy to repeat it. If people don't agree with it, please don't stoop to reinvention to show it. 

Edited by Bill

10 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Can you provide evidence of the SNP (the party, not individuals) showing antogonism towards Rangers FC?

The old evidence ploy again.

Why? Am I your Wikipedia service? If you think I'm wrong then say so and feel free to provide your own evidence - if you don't then the jot I don't care is yours to keep.

Edited by Bill

2 hours ago, Bill said:

That's simply untrue. The point I've seem made is that there is an obvious contradiction between the generally and traditionally unionist profile of rangers and a political party that opposes unionism and has a track record of confronting Rangers and its support. For me, and it's an opinion only, that contradiction is, on the whole, undeniable. As far as I'm aware, no one has said you are not, or should not be, allowed to support Rangers and the SNP.

That might be the more nuanced position you took, but initially you accused SNP voting Bears to be collaborators.   You've deliberately fanned the flames on that point so lets not try and be cute now.

Bill:  I think it will be interesting to see your response to JohnMc's questions.  I know you have strong views on this and I don't think anyone would argue with your right to hold such a position.  The problem I have is when someone (like you) tries to create a set of conditions with which any supporter must comply.  Maybe I've picked you (and others) up incorrectly, which is why I refer to John's points.  I'm really interested in your thoughts on what he asked.

8 minutes ago, Bill said:

The old evidence ploy again.

Why? Am I your Wikipedia service? If you think I'm wrong then say so and feel free to provide your own evidence - if you don't then the jot I don't care is yours to keep.

Only asking Bill. It said on here like a fact therefore I was just curious about what leads people to make this assessment (outwith a few misguided tweets by certain individuals). Certain polls amongst Gers fans prior to Indy Ref in 2014 suggested 50/50 split so it was seem like political lunacy to go all out and target Rangers. If those numbers are a reflection of our total fanbase (which is huge) it would seem even more silly.

We will not find any political party expousing a position on what football team to support so thats a dead-end argument.   

What is more interesting is the pervasive culture whereby a fledgling politician might deem it prudent to their career to keep their Rangers allegiance to themselves.

Edited by stewarty

33 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

Can you provide evidence of the SNP (the party, not individuals) showing antogonism towards Rangers FC?

The SNP's decisions are all taken by individuals, many of which have shown anti-Rangers feelings.

On the flip-side, I can't think of one SNP official either at SNP or local level who admits to being a Rangers supporter. Why is that?

I started ‘supporting’ Rangers when I was a toddler. I didn’t have a political view at that age and 50 years later politics will never alter my feelings about what football team I support. 

Noone can tell you you are not a Rangers supporter. If other people don’t want to accept you for political reasons then ask them if Scotland became an independent country would they stop supporting Rangers? I’d put the fruit loop element of nationalists who assume you are a sectarian bigot because you support Rangers in the same camp as someone who has no idea about who you are and where you come from in life telling you you’re not a Rangers supporter. I wouldn’t let either group in my house tbh. 

I agree with a lot of what Bill says. We know the SNP are anti Rangers and anti Unionist. We fly the union flag and are the only club in Scotland proud to be British.

The SNP are no friends on Rangers and some of our support continue to help them gain political power. If the term collaborators is not accurate then what and how would you describe their position?

I have never met a pleasant nationalist anywhere in the world; be it Scotland or anywhere else (some of the guys on here exempt) . It’s the politics of division and separatism. Nationalism can’t be compromised or diluted, there is no relenting until their goal is achieved. Anyone in their way must be eliminated. 

We, as a club and support, are in their way.

30 minutes ago, Bluedell said:

The SNP's decisions are all taken by individuals, many of which have shown anti-Rangers feelings.

On the flip-side, I can't think of one SNP official either at SNP or local level who admits to being a Rangers supporter. Why is that?

I would say that is pretty obvious. Let's face it, Rangers are hated by every other footie fan in Scotland, therefore any person looking to gain political sway will not get it by tying our colours to their mast.