Rangers staff risk stoking sectarianism hints Glasgow council boss Susan Aitken

8 minutes ago, pete said:

To get back a bit on track about MP's not wanting to admit they are Rangers fans I think Rangers fans are far more conservative ( can I say that?:D)  If you look at Airports or even just in the street then there are far more people wearing Celtic shirts. I don't believe for one moment that they are more passionate about their team but they seem to want to flaunt it more.

I don't know if it is a safety thing but I would think twice about walking about Glasgow outwith  match day in a Rangers top.

That's only coz they're winning Pete. Cast your mind back not so very long ago, and there was a severe lack of Grey 'n' Green walking the streets. Loads of our fans wear their tops. Once the fans can buy shirts, there will be an explosion of shirts all over the place.

Maybe something that isn't too apparent over your way right enough. :)

Just now, Soulsonic5791 said:

That's only coz they're winning Pete. Cast your mind back not so very long ago, and there was a severe lack of Grey 'n' Green walking the streets. Loads of our fans wear their tops. Once the fans can buy shirts, there will be an explosion of shirts all over the place.

Maybe something that isn't too apparent over your way right enough. :)

Wait for that Orange Shirt!:D

8 minutes ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

I agree with much of what you say MacK1950.

First and foremost, I love Rangers for football's sake.

That’s the first really interesting thing I’ve read for several pages. The problem I have is that I haven’t the slightest idea what “for football’s sake” actually means. It seems such an innocent and obvious statement but, in fact, the more I think about it, the less I understand it.

Edited by Bill

4 minutes ago, Bill said:

That’s the first really interesting thing I’ve read for several pages. The problem I have is that I haven’t the slightest idea what “for football’s sake” actually means. It seems such an innocent and obvious statement but, in fact, the more I think about it, the less I understand it.

You can't understand wanting to follow a team for the love of football Bill?

21 minutes ago, BlackSocksRedTops said:

So your 90/10 figure was plucked out of thin air. Here was me thinking it was based on actual polling or official figures. Silly me

We can make it 55/45 if that makes you happier.  Will you pull Pete up for his 20/20 figure?

55/45...happy memories.

1 hour ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

I was meaning that the club haven't exactly been proactive when it comes to defending the dignity of the support in light of sustained attack BJ. It always seems to be reactive as others have mentioned. But it is too easy to be misinterpreted in terms of context so I'll leave it at this:

What I was getting at is that the support are highly unlikely to desert the club because it doesn't vehemently defend the reputation of the fan base as a cultural entity within Scottish life. I think that the club lazily rely on that. That said, there have been some instances lately whereby the club recognise that this stance won't wash for much longer. But it is still too reactive for me.

Stevie and some of the new players are manfully trying to set agendas though and that is a welcome change at least.

Casting my mind back to the early to mid 80's has some bitter sweet memories and the disarray of the chairmanship of John Paton is best left there mate, as young as I was.

I agree with you on all of the points you've raise. The support wont boycott simply because the Club hasn't defended them. Of course I was presenting a hypothetical argument and drawing attention to previous fan actions that I felt were important as they set a precedent at the time due to circumstances on the pitch and until Stevie G's appointment, IMO, was looking like a distinct possibility again.

The argument I was making only half addresses the issue of the Club taking the support for granted centring mainly around team performance or lack there of but I would have thought that should those issues have arisen then it would also likely contain the pertinent aspects of the lack of support from the Club towards the fan base too. 

Just now, Soulsonic5791 said:

You can't understand wanting to follow a team for the love of football Bill?

Look, I’m an intelligent person and if all you can respond with is banal guff then let’s leave it alone. Sorry I made a mistake.