Club 1872 Response to Ibrox Fanzone FOI Release

2 minutes ago, Bill said:

Like I said, denial and indignation runs deep, so deep that some will go to any length to create a make-believe reality where their conflicted values can co-exist. "Other folk do separate them" Yes, by pretending to endorse one thing with this side of their face and the polar opposite with the other. Of course some people see nothing wrong with being two-faced and it's difficult not to define them accordingly. 

Not every Rangers fan sees their support for the club in political terms. It’s not that complicated so no need to second guess the levels of indignation and denial. I’m not sure most would bother too much what you think about their politics. They may prefer to talk Rangers if you can stomach their company (with all due respect). 

I don't see my support for Rangers in political terms, so to speak.  But being a Rangers supporter and a Unionist go hand in hand.  Do any other Scottish clubs fly the Union Flag so prominently at their grounds on matchdays?  Do any other Scottish fans have several songs which relate specifically to being British?

As for being able to stomach the company of Yes voting Rangers fans,  I'd rather not.  I've shunned the handful I've met and I doubt any of us are missing much.

Stephen Dornan's emails on the FOI release are just another piece of evidence on an ever-increasing list of anti-Rangers actions by members of the SNP.  I've had it up to here with their sheer hatred of our club.  

1 hour ago, Walterbear said:

Not every Rangers fan sees their support for the club in political terms. It’s not that complicated so no need to second guess the levels of indignation and denial. I’m not sure most would bother too much what you think about their politics. They may prefer to talk Rangers if you can stomach their company (with all due respect). 

I told you so ? and thanks for confirming it.

There's no point having a go at me. I never expect anyone to be bothered what I think.   

Edited by Bill

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

I don't see my support for Rangers in political terms, so to speak.  But being a Rangers supporter and a Unionist go hand in hand.  Do any other Scottish clubs fly the Union Flag so prominently at their grounds on matchdays?  Do any other Scottish fans have several songs which relate specifically to being British?

As for being able to stomach the company of Yes voting Rangers fans,  I'd rather not.  I've shunned the handful I've met and I doubt any of us are missing much.

Stephen Dornan's emails on the FOI release are just another piece of evidence on an ever-increasing list of anti-Rangers actions by members of the SNP.  I've had it up to here with their sheer hatred of our club.  

I’ve had it up to here with just about everyone’s sheer hatred of the club. 

Hatred and criticism should be embraced by courageous men.  Take it and learn from it.  But when the hatred is supported by your own they need weeded out.  Especially when the hatred comprises of poorly worded emails and tweets by incompetent twits.

We didn't have these problems in our support prior to 2014.  

Divide and conquer is old but it works.  

1 hour ago, Bill said:

I told you so ? and thanks for confirming it.

There's no point having a go at me. I never expect anyone to be bothered what I think.   

You were desperate to put that first sentence in no matter what anyone said. It was transparent from the off ?.

Noones having a go at you Bill. It’s not too important and it’s not about you really. No one cares what most people think about their politics.  

7 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Hatred and criticism should be embraced by courageous men.  Take it and learn from it.  But when the hatred is supported by your own they need weeded out.  Especially when the hatred comprises of poorly worded emails and tweets by incompetent twits.

But we’ve got it now alright, in spades, and the fact is only one side has changed. It used to be enough to support Rangers, now they have to change what Rangers is to make it compatible with their politics. I couldn’t give a shit who they vote for, just stop reinventing our football club the accommodate their nationalist agenda. They f**k up everything they touch, I’d prefer if that didn’t include Rangers.

5 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

There is clearly a hard core element in the SNP who hate Rangers and before they were SNP they were probably labour. I’d call them out for their hatred of Rangers affecting and defining their role in public office, double standards when it comes to bigotry and their abuse of power. 

There are labour, SNP, and Tories who don’t give 2 hoots about Rangers or football. There are Aberdonian unionist Tories or Dundonian labourites who are unionists who hate Rangers as much as Dornan and his Glasgow SNP chums. They refer to our club as zombies, dead, Sevco etc. Are what you guys saying is if push came to shove you’d stand shoulder to shoulder with them or a Celtic supporter against a Rangers supporting nationalist or perhaps you think they are as bad as each other? If so I genuinely can’t get my head round that & how that would make you a better Rangers fan than the nationalist. 

Rangers fan zone row: City councillor tells Glasgow Life political pressure WAS applied

POLITICAL pressure was applied to block plans for a proposed Rangers fan zone, emails released by Glasgow City Council have confirmed.

The Ibrox club’s bid to use a community complex opposite the ground for a fan zone was blocked on August 2, just 10 days before the first was due to be held after Glasgow Life ruled the club did not have sufficient community backing. 

City chiefs released a huge cache of conversations between councillors, club bosses and Glasgow Life earlier this week in response to calls for transparency, although names were redacted. 

And we can reveal that on June 25 this year, a city councillor contacted Glasgow Life, claiming to be under “political pressure” to oppose the use of the Ibrox Football Complex for four pilot fan zones.

The following day, in an email from a councillor named “David” to Glasgow Life, it was claimed at least three of the four Govan members opposed the fan zone – which has since been denied.

In another email exchange on July 2, a councillor demanded answers from colleagues, insisting that if the fan zone plan went to the licensing committee, it would likely be approved.

And in a further note, sent from a Glasgow City Council email address, it was suggested members of the Ibrox and Cessnock Community Council should give their view on the fan zone in a private meeting or over the phone, instead of at their public meeting in August.

Rangers were initially granted an “occasional licence” on June 15 this year, in an email to Glasgow Life 10 days later, a city councillor said: “I’m getting a lot of political pressure from local members to oppose the use of the Ibrox Complex for these ‘fan zone’ events…”

But while Stephen Dornan objected and John Kane supported Rangers’ plans, Ricky Bell and Allan Young have both since denied being in outright opposition.

The revelations come as it emerged an SNP councillor has been accused of antagonising Rangers and Glasgow Life representatives during key talks over the proposed Ibrox fan zone.

Stephen Dornan, who has openly opposed Rangers’ plans to use the Ibrox Football Complex, was branded “offensive” over his behaviour at a community council meeting in July.

It comes amid claims that in June, the community council formally objected to the fan zone proposals without a debate, following a suggestion by Mr Dornan.

And in a hastily arranged poll, taken in private during a tea break at a meeting in August, community councillors voted 4-3 in favour of upholding an objection to the plans – which was key to Glasgow Life’s withdrawal of the licence.

Labour councillor John Kane said: “This boiled up at the meeting in June where one elected member suggested the community council should oppose. There was no great discussion on it and it was right at the end of the meeting. The community council then put in an objection.

“After the first objection went through I organised to have people from Rangers and Glasgow Life talk about the plans at a meeting of the community council.

“I thought the attitude of one elected member was incredibly antagonistic. I felt that member was unfairly rubbishing Rangers’ contribution to the community.”

Those claims were backed by a source who attended the July meeting.
The source said: “Mr Dornan was antagonistic towards the Rangers representatives, but he was particularly offensive towards a young officer who was representing Glasgow Life. His behaviour was awful.”

Mr Dornan was the only Glasgow City councillor to lodge an official objection to the fan zone plan.

Mr Dornan did not respond to requests for comment.

https://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/16993916.rangers-fan-zone-row-city-councillor-tells-glasgow-life-political-pressure-was-applied/