Celtic Boys Club manager 'stuffed banknotes in boy's mouth'

On 06/10/2020 at 15:48, Uilleam said:

Largely, 'whataboutery', as far as I know, although I have seen it suggested that the cabbage and ribs have, appropriately enough, some skeletons in the cupboard. 

Rangers, unfortunately, employed one Neely, as a youth coach, recruited from Leith, from where he had been dismissed for pederasty, or similar. 

He was sacked by Souness (and Smith), in short order, following complaints of inappropriate suggestions. Personally, I am surprised that our managers, at the time, did not give him a good kicking. 

Rangers also had Harry Dunn and John Chalmers - though John Chalmers never faced a court of law as he committed suicide (largely believed to be because of this allegation) - my younger cousin was at Rangers and thought John Chalmers was a great coach and was gutted about his suicide.  Dunn I can't remember the full story but it still amazes me (I would say amuses if it weren't so serious) that Celtic fans try to point the finger at us about Neely given Neely was fired by Hibs and "disappeared" - a member of the Hibs board at that time subsequently admitted that Hibs fired him without any explanation because they didnt want to ruin the club's reputation as a feeder boys club to the main team.... it was this lack of transparency which resulted in  him ending up at Rangers - when he did it again at Rangers fired him - whether they reported it to the Police or not is still debatable, though Rangers say they did.

I was at my son's private training session at the weekend and, strangely enough, this came up in conversation with another parent.... this parent had actually been coached by Neely when he was younger and the stories he told of how they scared the kids into their bedrooms were absolutely appalling - no punishment would ever be too severe for these scumbags. 

On 06/10/2020 at 19:22, Scott7 said:

I don’t agree with the forfeiture of trophies. I do believe in expulsion with no re-admission. Not going to happen, though.

The problem with that is that we would have a league structure with about 3 teams in it.  What has been reported is only the tip of the iceberg.  It is riddled throughout pretty much all levels of the game in Scotland, and probably the rest of the UK too.

12 hours ago, craig said:

It is riddled throughout pretty much all levels of the game in Scotland, and probably the rest of the UK too

It would be surprising if the scandal were confined to one club. It’s not even confined to football. But one club seems to have had many more perpetrators than others. 

12 hours ago, craig said:

The problem with that is that we would have a league structure with about 3 teams in it.  What has been reported is only the tip of the iceberg.  It is riddled throughout pretty much all levels of the game in Scotland, and probably the rest of the UK too.

If it runs through football the it must run through all aspects of Scottish life. There should be no doubt about that- the legal profession, police, local government, the civil service, the NHS, the media, education and of course the faith industry. All providing mutual protection. Only the stupid or careless ones ever reveal themselves.

9 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

It would be surprising if the scandal were confined to one club. It’s not even confined to football. But one club seems to have had many more perpetrators than others. 

The problem, though, is at what point would you start to expel with no readmission, as you are advocating ?  Does it need to be one perpetrator ?  two ?  three ?  What if the club acted appropriately in all instances by firing and notifying the authorities ?

If you look at the quantum of perpetrators and decide on the number being, say 3 (many would contend that one perp should be enough....) then we would also be looking at expusion.  Should we be looking at expulsion when one of those perpetrators had committed the same offences at Hibs and they never informed us of his debauchery ?

See, it is all very, very subjective and when it comes to something as drastic as expulsion then you have to be very careful what you wish for.