The Gersnet Interview with Gordon Smith

Absolutely spot on Buster.

I myself was a reasonable player in my mid teens (S'form with Dundee Utd and a Scotland under15/16 cap) but unfortunately, like many players my potential suffered because I liked to be like my friends and enjoy a drink and the wrong lifestyle.

One reason why I'd love to see Rangers (and other clubs) including scholarships where they board at Murray Park and also undertake educational courses.

That´s called vision and would involve expense.

Vision briefly passed by Ibrox dressed up as a moonbeam which the scottish wouldn´t buy into and basically went on a go slow until they could resume their scottish ways.

Now, money wouldn´t be spent on good visionary ideas such as yours Frankie, moreso allocated to first team fixes that may ensure short term results but once Walter leaves there will be little legacy.

At the end of the day it would seem that the majority of the support, certainly the louder section prefer this.

"You only reap what you sow"

Unfortunately yes, but if we continue to struggle financially, working on our Youth system and matching the Ajax template may prove to be our future even if the majority of our fans may struggle to accept it...

:)

I like Gordon when he replaces Traynor on "your call". That show is full of depressing alcoholic tims talking guff and they call up to try wind Gordon up but he always puts them in there place.

Good scoop Frankie - did you interview him yourself? Also surprised about the manager bit - was he tongue in cheek when he said he is waiting to be offered the right deal?

BTW Ive heard that he is bald as a coot and thats a wig he wears - can anyone confirm :)

That´s called vision and would involve expense.

Vision briefly passed by Ibrox dressed up as a moonbeam which the scottish wouldn´t buy into and basically went on a go slow until they could resume their scottish ways.

Now, money wouldn´t be spent on good visionary ideas such as yours Frankie, moreso allocated to first team fixes that may ensure short term results but once Walter leaves there will be little legacy.

At the end of the day it would seem that the majority of the support, certainly the louder section prefer this.

"You only reap what you sow"

Certainly large portions of truth in that. However the patronising tones and the old "European(foreign) is always better despite evidence to the contrary" view can be a pain in the arse to listen too.

Another allusion to PLG. :yawn: They guy was a terible, terrible manager for Rangers. I especially enjoyed reading the views of a more eloquent poster than I from Gersnet, Calscot, who pointed out that many of PLG's views on football and man-management where actually very outdated and not at all forward thinking. I suggest you have a look back ad read some of this. However that does not fit with the pro-PLG mob who (and I too was sucked in by the moonbeams) refuse to admit they were wrong. I can only presume this is about losing face with fans of other clubs.

As I say, large portions of truth in your post. Advocaat helped promote a more "European" mindset at the club for a brief period of time. It can be done with the right man. PLG was not that man for this club.

Sorry Frankie to take this thread off an a tangent, but the patronising, weepy-eyed yearning for PLG is still tiresome.

Great stuff Frankie

IMO Gordon Smith was very underestimated as player, and outside the Rangers family, probably unerestimated as a pundit (and I hear he is a gentleman as well).

A good guy and hope he gets his wish to return to football in some capacity

Cammy F

Agree with all about our own youth academy but i don't think that is the only way forward. I think we also need to have people in place who can spot talent in the less popular countries or clubs and bring them to Ibrox to be sold on for a profit.

Herenveen must be one of the best examples of this, as they seem to sell one player on and pluck another jewel from the so said minor leagues.

Jon dahl Tomasson, Klaas-jan Huntelaar, Samaras and now Alfonso Alves who will be sold on shortly for 10mill+.

As for the much talked about Ajax youth system there is a flip side to the coin.

Ajax youth players are all taught to play in the same system from a very young age. That is indeed great if three or four break through to the top team they can play together with a blindfold on. The flip side is if they have to buy a player in the youth lean years it is very difficult for a bought player to fit in to that system. Ajax have went through a barrowload of strikers over the last few years to no avail and in fact chose Markus Rosenberg over Alfonso Alves who both played for Malmo at the same time. They must be kicking themselves now.

To get back to Rangers it is not really a secret that the scouting system at Rangers has been poor in the past and you can have Murray Park or the best Youth system in the world, but if you can not fill it with good players then it cannot produce good players.