The Scotsman: the first of many?

It's alright to say that you can get all the news you want from social media and via news sites.

You also have to remember that not everyone has access to computers,also many are are computer illiterate and many older generation have no trust in computers,therefore newspapers are still the way they get news.

I think it's been obvious for a long time that print media is a dying medium. You can look to Steve Jobs as the one who delivered the fatal blow.

He sat down and wondered how he could sell more of his tablets and came up with a world changing solution. Let's shrink it down, put a phone app on it and call it a phone. Now everybody and his literal granny has one.

Email delivered the same fatal blow to postal services. Who would now send a letter or a postcard? Last I heard Royal Mail are predominately filling letter boxes with junk mail.

There most definitely IS a place and a future for quality newspapers. You don't just buy them for "news" but for a deeper insight and understanding of the news, without which we might as well all read the Sun and stop at the headlines. The problem we have is that truly intelligent comment is increasingly difficult to find.

Sadly, the Scotsman is no longer a quality newspaper and wouldn't be missed if it was never printed again. If the best you can do is mimic the deliberately skewed opinions of your owners then no one will miss you for long.

I don't buy newspapers but I'm genuinely interested in this subject as someone who has to predict future developments and trends.  I've read the posts with interest but I'm still struggling to understand what role they play.  I think it was JohnMc that suggested we need journos to hold politicians, landowners, and others to account. I don't agree with this.  The journos usually just write about things they've picked up from the locals, or other informed individuals.  With the advent of social media, is there still the same need?  Print, radio and television was the only way previously to spread the word quickly about something.  Based on the rate at which the Internet and social media can spread a story, it makes other media perform like the horse and cart in comparison.  Now, someone with the information can just post it and immediately spread the word.

If journos were offering investigative services, quality of writing, or some other value add, I might be inclined to appreciate them, but they don't so I don't.  Until they can find and offer a service that's valued by prospective customers, the print media will continue to decline until extinction.

1 hour ago, Bluedell said:

The National is making losses as well, and is just kept afloat by being heavily subsidised by other brands within the stable.

The National sells under 10,000 copies daily, a long way south from it's initial 100,000 sales. 

The National and it's 18 full time Journos are reputedly kept afloat by the lottery winning Weir family.

Reference the Hootsmon; genuinely, I hope all the staff find continuing employment. I will make an exception for former Sellik View Editor, Andrew H Smith, a worthy successor of the late Glen Gibbons.