No title this season

50 minutes ago, buster. said:

They are still a lot stronger than we are and wrt the title, it'll nearly always come down to squad depth (and quality).

It's not rocket science, we need quality (and more depth) but that tends to cost a lot of money and/or requires time to develop.

Also worth considering that without a silly loss to Livingston (Sep 30) and draws with Motherwell (26 Aug) and Hibs (19 Dec) we'd be top even allowing for their game in hand.  Those are games against (what are currently) the bottom 6 sides in the league.  This Celtic side are catchable if we can just perform against the other teams in the league, we just can't seem to do that.

10 minutes ago, RabiDuck said:

Also worth considering that without a silly loss to Livingston (Sep 30) and draws with Motherwell (26 Aug) and Hibs (19 Dec) we'd be top even allowing for their game in hand.  Those are games against (what are currently) the bottom 6 sides in the league.  This Celtic side are catchable if we can just perform against the other teams in the league, we just can't seem to do that.

'What if's' are worth nothing but there are solid reasons as to why we drop points and more importantly, why they continue to happen too many times for it to be down to X or Y excuse.

Bigger picture

Things aren't that bad, if you employ realism regards timescales/budgets/starting points, etc.

Edited by buster.

23 minutes ago, buster. said:

'What if's' are worth nothing but there are solid reasons as to why we drop points and more importantly, why they continue to happen too many times for it to be down to X or Y excuse.

Bigger picture

Things aren't that bad, if you employ realism regards timescales/budgets/starting points, etc.

The bigger picture is the key thing.  If you'd told me at the end of last season that we'd have had a group stage run of the EL and at this point of the season be only 6 points off the top, I'd have taken it.  Yes there's improvements to be made, but we're probably slightly ahead of where I figured we'd be at this stage after the difficulties of the last few seasons.

1 hour ago, buster. said:

Agreed. Losing the late goal to Hibs wasn’t a coincidence or just bad luck. It’s the 4th time we’ve conceded late on at a stage in the game when we’re hanging on and started to give the ball back to the opposition rather than trying to hold onto it. I’m conscious we pulled it off a few times, Ufa one example, but there was a reason we all saw that equaliser coming even though they’d created next to nothing the whole game. 

Edited by DMAA

• 2 months later...
On 26/12/2018 at 21:00, BEARGER said:

I was just making the point that this group will win nothing. Obviously if we strengthen we should improve, although I would think it would need more than one or two. As an aside, does anyone think Coulibaly is better than Docherty? We’re playing a loan player in place of a decent young prospect we have sent out on loan.

We signed Kamara.Next transfer window is the one, we’re light years behind them in terms of playing staff. One or two additions will not be enough to challenge for the title.  If after 3 transfer windows we’re not still not up there Gerrard’s jaicket will be on a shoogley nail. Jones from Kilmarnock is another cheap buy, he will not greatly improve the team.

Rant over.

14 hours ago, BEARGER said:

We signed Kamara.Next transfer window is the one, we’re light years behind them in terms of playing staff. One or two additions will not be enough to challenge for the title.  If after 3 transfer windows we’re not still not up there Gerrard’s jaicket will be on a shoogley nail. Jones from Kilmarnock is another cheap buy, he will not greatly improve the team.

Rant over.

Our problem is that we haven't the finance to bring in those one or two that are sure to make a big difference.

To bring in players who were very good but are way past their best isn't the way to go either.

We have to build a squad, coach players and make them better.

However, this is where we don't have much of a track record.

It seems to be very difficult for players to handle the pressure and demands of playing for Rangers.

It also seems to me that the demands are too great for a succession of managers because a lot of the time, the timescales aren't realistic.

There is no magic button, it'll take time and how ever much anyone shouts that there is no time, it won't change that.

Edited by buster.

On 13/03/2019 at 16:17, BEARGER said:

Rant over.

I think Jones will surprise people...in a good way.

33 minutes ago, MacK1950 said:

Is he any better than Murphy???

Have we actually seen the real Murphy?

In many ways it is a tragedy of our return that throughout these last few years we always had injuries to inbetween 5 to 8 important players for extended spells. I had high hopes for Murphy and this season.

Next season, we'll have Holt, Docherty, Rossiter and Hardie back. plus Dorrans, Murphy. Enter Firth and Polster too. Just to keep these people in mind.

As for the title, the brain says it is over, the gut answers: ... when the fat lady sings. So far, she's not yet on the stage.