Scottish football referees warn SFA they are ‘on the brink of strike’

Scottish football referees warn SFA they are ‘on the brink of strike’ after taking flak from clubs and fans

It comes after Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Hibs moaned about officials, while two refs were assaulted and John Beaton received vile phone threats.

A LEADING referee accused senior footie figures of pushing them to the verge of revolt, insisting: “A strike won’t be far away.”

The Grade One whistler says they have reached breaking point after a number of high-profile incidents of “abuse”.

We can reveal informal talks have taken place about a walkout threatening the Premiership restart after the winter break on January 23.

It comes after Celtic, Rangers, Hearts and Hibs moaned about officials, while two refs were assaulted and John Beaton received vile phone threats.

The source said: “The big question now is how do we resolve this.

“The feeling among many of us is that a strike won’t be far away and most of us if asked to vote on it will vote for it.

“In recent weeks we’ve had clubs such as Rangers and Celtic coming out with comment after games because they didn’t get the result they wanted. Craig Levein at Hearts has also been very critical of us. All this is fine but the SFA should be stepping in and dealing with these clubs and individuals.”

He added: “We are made out to be the bad ones and I’ve had abuse from fans when out doing my shopping with my family.

“Yes in every game the ref will make mistakes — we’re only human.

“If you tallied up mistakes made by the referee and an individual player over 90 minutes they will make far more mistakes than us but fans don’t go after them.

“But these clubs and managers do it and everyone jumps on the bandwagon — it’s ridiculous.”

A walkout would be a repeat of 2010 when all of Scotland’s 31 top officials — employed by the SFA — voted for a one-day strike.

It came after they claimed the governing body wasn’t doing enough to protect them — with colleagues from Israel, Luxembourg and Malta drafted in for games. The insider added:“The current situation is worse than the one in 2010.”

In October, linesman Calum Spence’s head was “burst open” after Gers fan thug Stuart McGaughay, 30, hit him with a coin at Livingston.

And we told how Mr Beaton called in cops last week after getting threats when his mobile number was leaked online following the controversial Old Firm match at Ibrox.

And a week earlier Calum Scott, 29, was assaulted during a Juniors clash between Glenafton Athletic and Cambuslang Rangers.

Our source said: “How does anyone think it’s acceptable to launch a coin at someone purely because they are an official?

“This in itself shows how toxic the current situation is. If the SFA started issuing larger fines or docking points maybe then fans will realise they can’t beh-ave the way
they are.”

Prospect Union, who represent many refs, said at the weekend the situation was at “crisis point”. They said: “All professional football organisations have a responsibility to lead by example and do everything to deter behaviours that affect officials’ health and safety.

“One member described the current situation as the worst atmosphere and environment he has seen for over a decade.”

Labour MP Iain Murray - the former Foundation of Hearts Chairman - urged the SFA to “do everything” to prevent a walkout.

He added: “If they strike it would have a difficult impact on the playing of games and resources available to clubs in terms of playing those games and whether or not we’d be able to finish league and cup competitions this season.”

The SFA said: “We won’t be commenting.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/news/3717903/scottish-football-referees-warn-sfa-they-will-strike-after-flak-from-clubs-and-fans/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1546901954

"In October, linesman Calum Spence’s head was “burst open” after Gers fan thug Stuart McGaughay, 30, hit him with a coin at Livingston."

"And we told how Mr Beaton called in cops last week after getting threats when his mobile number was leaked online following the controversial Old Firm match at Ibrox."

Interestingly (or not!) a club is mentioned in one example incident, but not in the other.  I suspect that it wasn't Rangers fans unhappy with Mr Beaton after the OF game...

That being said, the coin incident at Livingston is unacceptable and not to be condoned regardless of the individuals affiliation.

2 minutes ago, RabiDuck said:

Interestingly (or not!) a club is mentioned in one example incident, but not in the other.  I suspect that it wasn't Rangers fans unhappy with Mr Beaton after the OF game...

It is genuinely sinister and frightening the collusion, coercion and bias that is propagated from the Scottish media on a continual basis.

The mhedia makes sure the spin they create on this points our way ... no matter whether we had justifiable reason to speak up (mind you, not harrass him) or that we actually suggested some changes re yellow cards methinks. But to mix it with Yahoo telephone and internet "terror" is clearly throwing dirt at us. If I were in the PR/media  department at Ibrox, I'd take down notes on these scumbags in the media spinning lies and utilizing false-facts ... long ago, actually.

The moron that threw the coin in our game has a lot to answer for. 

The sad thing here is the ref made no mistakes against celtc. Rangers yes celtc no. 

If this is the kind of attack they get for having a good game where celtc are concerned no wonder they are worried. 

Rangers concern me here though. We should have made a video up of the two brown red card offenses. The penalty the 3 dives from brown and tge others from natcham and christy and played it on a loop at our press conference. 

The SFA are responsible for all this, going back to the sacking of a ref & the 1st refs strike the SFA should have stood up and been counted! they have done nothing to help the refs and they have allowed this scenario to arise again due to their incompetence, allowing ST Pats FC to bring the game into disrepute once again! backed by the compliant Scottish gutter press.

34 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

Rangers concern me here though. We should have made a video up of the two brown red card offenses. The penalty the 3 dives from brown and tge others from natcham and christy and played it on a loop at our press conference. 

I agree with you here GS. We are too civil and naive when it comes to this. I appreciate we agree they are a horrible club that are run and supported by those who revel in this. However, the media have only one agenda and unless we highlight continually what that agenda is we will continue to lose this fight.

It is the responsibility of the club and the supporters to highlight in whatever way we can, wherever we can what that agenda is. I feel for the refereees and officials. The unfortunate aspect is that if we dontbalso apply our own pressure they will be affected and coerced by the Liewell PR machine.