Jump to content

 

 

Recommended Posts

It's not like the Kazakh team is any great shakes. 

 

I suppose that fielding a team which has very little experience outside the domestic leagues (SPL and Championship down south, for the most part), and where the experience of those who have tasted continental opposition has been, generally, that of failure, sometimes abject, was always going to mean a 'difficult' afternoon. 

Even so, the 'National XI' has put on a very poor show.

 

More seriously, is Burke, O. the ugliest player to represent Scotland since Dodds, D.?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Tannochsidebear said:

It is hilarious to see McGregor, Forrest diving about at the slightest touch and looking at the ref who is waving play on as if to say "I get these fouls all the time in Scotland". 

 

If only someone would actually have really floored them in a way their captain does. Wonder how they would like that treatment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hard to see McLeish staying on now. As much as we don’t have great players, that was a decent enough midfield & centre halves. To get a doing off of that poor a team in what was a must win game is appalling, and makes you wonder how McLeish - a legendary manager in his day - got the job in the first place. I suppose he won his Europa league group, but I think that has backfired as maybe his team fancy qualifying through the back door now - a very Scottish mentality. Can’t help that the SFA have made it impossible for him to pick Rangers players though - McGregor, Jack & even Andy Halliday would have walked into that team. Memo to Stevie G - Halliday is a better left back than Shinnie..

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, 917 said:

Hard to see McLeish staying on now. As much as we don’t have great players, that was a decent enough midfield & centre halves. To get a doing off of that poor a team in what was a must win game is appalling, and makes you wonder how McLeish - a legendary manager in his day - got the job in the first place. I suppose he won his Europa league group, but I think that has backfired as maybe his team fancy qualifying through the back door now - a very Scottish mentality. Can’t help that the SFA have made it impossible for him to pick Rangers players though - McGregor, Jack & even Andy Halliday would have walked into that team. Memo to Stevie G - Halliday is a better left back than Shinnie..

Alan McRae is his mate hence getting the job. McLeish was sacked in England, Belgium and Egypt and wasnt being considered for another club yet Scotland take him on. Its gone backwards massively and id say Strachan was doing OK.

 

Even my Mum was sitting with me half hoping it would be funny if Kazak went on to score again. I know a lot of fellow bears have lost interest in Scotland for various reasons for a long time but I was a bit later and in the last 12 months Ive lost interest in them which is a shame.

 

I seriously wouldnt be surprised with San Marino outdoing this and getting something on Sunday.

 

You just look around Europe and see countries like Belgium and Netherlands rip up the current book and start again to produce good sides. The Spanish and Germans obviously have done it with better players. Yet look at all the former Yugoslavian nations who are only 25 years old and produce quality from somewhere.

 

Eck is part of the problem but its far deeper than just the coach. A new younger fresher coach would help and it could easily be foreigner, Vogts has put a spanner in that idea wrongly IMO.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That was the worst I've ever seen from a Scotland team.

 

It was a relatively poor looking line-up with many potential issues that you thought might manage a result due to the opposition.

However, the team looked devoid of fight or leadership, never mind not knowing what to do.

 

McGregor is never a Captain and you can see why Burke won't ever reach any significant heights in the game (attitude stinks).

 

Eck is lost and looks like someone picked off the street and put in the dug-out.

He's lost any managerial talents he once had #slippers

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Gribz said:

Alan McRae is his mate hence getting the job. McLeish was sacked in England, Belgium and Egypt and wasnt being considered for another club yet Scotland take him on. Its gone backwards massively and id say Strachan was doing OK.

 

Even my Mum was sitting with me half hoping it would be funny if Kazak went on to score again. I know a lot of fellow bears have lost interest in Scotland for various reasons for a long time but I was a bit later and in the last 12 months Ive lost interest in them which is a shame.

 

I seriously wouldnt be surprised with San Marino outdoing this and getting something on Sunday.

 

You just look around Europe and see countries like Belgium and Netherlands rip up the current book and start again to produce good sides. The Spanish and Germans obviously have done it with better players. Yet look at all the former Yugoslavian nations who are only 25 years old and produce quality from somewhere.

 

Eck is part of the problem but its far deeper than just the coach. A new younger fresher coach would help and it could easily be foreigner, Vogts has put a spanner in that idea wrongly IMO.

 

 

The issue isn't the coach Gribz.  He can only work with what he has.  The issue is the system , first and foremost and, secondarily, the parochialism of Scottish football.

 

On the system - in the British game the vast majority of coaches who have their Pro or A license are working with adults - sounds good but the reality is that the better coaches should be working at the younger age levels where you can develop the technical side of the game.  How many senior games do you watch where a Scottish player's 2nd touch is a tackle....

 

Contrast that to Spain where over 80% of their A license coaches (the stat comes from about 10 years ago to be fair) are working with youths from about 12 yrs old and younger...  your better, more qualified coaches working with the players who are at an age where you can coach them the basics properly.  It makes perfect sense.

 

Having your best coaches try to teach a 25 yr old guy how to control a ball or constantly pivot his head is pointless... do it with an 8 yr old and it will be 2nd nature by the time the kid is 12.

 

We have our systems completely the wrong way round in Scotland.

 

And by parochialism I mean, and I have no shame in being bias, that players in Scotland get carte blanche to literally kick lumps out of each other - so instead of the game being technical it is physical... the issue with having a physical game is that, at some point, your opponents will either be just as physical and therefore remove your advantage or their technical ability will overcome your physicality.  Just look at the Barca team that had Messi, Xavi & Iniesta - none of them physical, none of them taller than 5ft 8 - but try taking the ball off them and, indeed, try being physical with them.... you wont get a touch of the ball to make a difference.

 

Our game in Scotland is, frankly, dross.

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, craig said:

And by parochialism I mean, and I have no shame in being bias, that players in Scotland get carte blanche to literally kick lumps out of each other 

Unless they wear a blue shirt and can only receive said kicking.

Link to post
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, craig said:

The issue isn't the coach Gribz.  He can only work with what he has.  The issue is the system , first and foremost and, secondarily, the parochialism of Scottish football.

 

On the system - in the British game the vast majority of coaches who have their Pro or A license are working with adults - sounds good but the reality is that the better coaches should be working at the younger age levels where you can develop the technical side of the game.  How many senior games do you watch where a Scottish player's 2nd touch is a tackle....

 

Contrast that to Spain where over 80% of their A license coaches (the stat comes from about 10 years ago to be fair) are working with youths from about 12 yrs old and younger...  your better, more qualified coaches working with the players who are at an age where you can coach them the basics properly.  It makes perfect sense.

 

Having your best coaches try to teach a 25 yr old guy how to control a ball or constantly pivot his head is pointless... do it with an 8 yr old and it will be 2nd nature by the time the kid is 12.

 

We have our systems completely the wrong way round in Scotland.

 

And by parochialism I mean, and I have no shame in being bias, that players in Scotland get carte blanche to literally kick lumps out of each other - so instead of the game being technical it is physical... the issue with having a physical game is that, at some point, your opponents will either be just as physical and therefore remove your advantage or their technical ability will overcome your physicality.  Just look at the Barca team that had Messi, Xavi & Iniesta - none of them physical, none of them taller than 5ft 8 - but try taking the ball off them and, indeed, try being physical with them.... you wont get a touch of the ball to make a difference.

 

Our game in Scotland is, frankly, dross.

Quoted from KT direct ?  Whom should be part of the next set up BTW.

 

I said as much in the paragraph above you bolded.

 

Id switch to summer football for a start, it would only get youngsters out playing more than in the winter anyway for an absolute minor start.

 

Was just about to PM you anyway mate.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.