The Spring & Summer 2019 Transfer Rumours Thread

I see no reason we would sell a key player who is contracted till 2023 in January when we might expect to be in a title race. He can Pull a £20 million plus fee just as easily in the Summer window.

1 hour ago, JFK-1 said:

I see no reason we would sell a key player who is contracted till 2023 in January when we might expect to be in a title race. He can Pull a £20 million plus fee just as easily in the Summer window.

I bet we don’t sell in January. 

12 minutes ago, Bill said:

I bet we don’t sell in January. 

It would need to be a crazy bid early in the window and that won’t happen. I think he is still worth more to Rangers than to potential suitors. 

While I think there's a better than even chance he will go in the Summer i'm still not 100% convinced he will be leaving next Summer. He will still be contracted for 3 years at that time so keeping him one more year wouldn't decrease his value since he would still be only 25 in 2021 and still contracted for two years. Many experts consider that to be the age when peak physical powers are achieved.

I'm thinking of two possible scenarios the first of which is we win the league to get a shot at CL qualification. Making that group stage could be worth in excess of £40 million which put's 20 million for Morelos in the shade and that chance might be lost if he weren't available for it.

Then further presume we reached the groups. Isn't that the ideal stage to potentially bump his value up to double current estimates?  And overall if that scenario were to play out might it not in some ways be the best scenario for Morelos himself? A factor Gerrard is smart enough to present to him.

That this is a chance for us to give you a taste of what football will be like in the EPL before you make your big move. Ideal preparation young man. You do well for us in this group you will potentially have the higher end and not the Aston Villa's of the league coming in.

Second scenario we don't win the league but can still offer a crack at EL football would be a harder sell to him. But there may exist a great desire among the management and board to still persuade him to hang on another year since it would be an all out battle to stop 10iar.  

23 minutes ago, Gazza_8 said:

No way will we sell Morelos in January. 

I believe if he keeps scoring goals and leading the line in the way we know he can he will be a 25 plus million asset prices are bonkers these day's and I hope we get a bonkers fee when he does leave  .

Jermain Defoe is in talks with Rangers boss Steven Gerrard about making his Ibrox stay a permanent one next season.

The striker, who turns 37 on Monday, is currently on loan from Premier League outfit Bournemouth.

His contract at the Vitality Stadium expires next summer – and Defoe wants to extend his time in Glasgow.

He’s already bagged nine goals from Gers this term, despite playing second fiddle to Alfredo Morelos.

And Defoe admits discussions have taken place with Gerrard about signing on a Bosman next term.

He said: “I’ve spoken to the manager and he knows how much I’ve enjoyed my time here.

“I haven’t been here that long but the appreciation you get from the fans is something special.

“You don’t always get that. I sat down and had a relaxed chat with the gaffer.

“For me, it’s not just about being happy on the pitch but off it as well.

“The younger players at Rangers are always 
asking me questions and it’s nice to help them, it’s nice to be able to give 
something back.

“The manager knows I love it here and I know he wants me here.”

Even at 37, Defoe insists he still feels sharp and capable of playing on for another few years yet – even if next season will be his 21st in senior football.

He said: “I never think about stopping playing. I’ve been quite lucky with 
injuries and I still feel fit and sharp.

“I still feel as if I can get my shots off and do things I was doing a few years ago. Mentally, I’m in a good place right now.”

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/jermain-defoe-issues-rangers-plea-20470037??2

On 02/10/2019 at 19:36, RANGERRAB said:

We need to be realistic, Morelos will go either in January or at the end of the season. We should already be looking for his successor 

Fatalistic more like.  I think we should be pulling out all the stops to get him to stay as long as we possibly can.