"I am a Ranger at Heart"... Denis Law: (Lifted From FF)

1 hour ago, compo said:

Back many moons ago we had him watched and came to the conclusion he was to small .

Was that not John Whyte, compo?

When you see photos of Law at Huddersfield he was just a speccy wisp of a lad right enough.

11 hours ago, les186 said:

I remember Law and Baxter would only pass the ball to each other when playing for Scotland.

Not as I remember. Law’s instinct was to drive in at the enemy goal and have a shot. If he couldn’t make it he’d slip the ball to anyone.

The story I heard was that in the 1967 Wembley game, Law was screaming to get the ball up to him as he wanted to crush England with lots of goals. Baxter had other plans. His way of crushing the opposition was to showboat and humiliate them that way. Baxter would also wind up Alan Ball by asking him is he was jimmy Clitheroe's dad.

20 minutes ago, Yorkie Bear said:

The story I heard was that in the 1967 Wembley game, Law was screaming to get the ball up to him as he wanted to crush England with lots of goals. Baxter had other plans. His way of crushing the opposition was to showboat and humiliate them that way. Baxter would also wind up Alan Ball by asking him is he was jimmy Clitheroe's dad.

I heard that Law wanted to hammer them to get his revenge for the 9-3 game in 1961

Addendum.

'one of the first results'? Would Aberdoom be the first? Am I getting carried away with the Lawman's affectionate anecdote? Can older bears set me straight - was/is Denis a bluenose first and foremost before United became his number one love?

1 hour ago, Soulsonic5791 said:

Addendum.

'one of the first results'? Would Aberdoom be the first? Am I getting carried away with the Lawman's affectionate anecdote? Can older bears set me straight - was/is Denis a bluenose first and foremost before United became his number one love?

No evidence of any affiliation to Rangers. Always thought he was a hometown Dons fan. No evidence of antipathy either.