1 hour ago, buster. said:

If SG was to one day get an offer he couldn't refuse, does Gary Mac take over managerial duties ?

I reckon that's what the club would consider as first option.

Absolutely not. 

Gary Mac is there to assist SG. 

I would expect the DoF to have a list of suitable replacements lined-up and monitored regularly. 

1 hour ago, Rousseau said:

Absolutely not. 

Gary Mac is there to assist SG. 

I would expect the DoF to have a list of suitable replacements lined-up and monitored regularly. 

Of course Gary Mac is there to assist SG, just as Walter Smith was there to assist Souness.

I don't think you can be so absolutely certain in football.

If the DoF has such a list, I'd expect Gary Mac to be on it.

The scenario I could see Gary Mac being seriously considered is along the following lines .........

• we win title this coming season
  • mid table EPL club come in for SG and he goes
  • GMac seen as best person to carry on the good work
  • GMac has choice between No.2 with SG or No.1 at Ibrox

Obviously it's only pretty wild speculation and not to be taken too seriously.

Edited by buster.

2 minutes ago, buster. said:

Of course Gary Mac is there to assist SG, just as Walter Smith was there to assist Souness.

I don't think you can be so absolutely certain in football.

If the DoF has such a list, I'd expect Gary Mac to be on it.

The scenario I could see Gary Mac being seriously considered is along the following lines .........

• we win title this coming season
  • mid table EPL club come in for SG and he goes
  • GMac seen as best person to carry on the good work
  • GMac has choice between No.2 with SG or No.1 at Ibrox

Obviously it's only pretty wild speculation and not to be taken to seriously.

I'm pretty certain Gar Mac will not be on a list of potential candidates. (Walter Smith was a coach; it's a different set of circumstances.)

He's just there to provide experience for SG; he's not a coach. 

If SG leaves, then it'll be Michael Beale who would take over, for a short period. Even then, I would expect a list of candidates, who fit the desired profile (Gary Mac is NOT it), to be in place now, before that happens, so any replacement is appointed swiftly.  

3 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

I'm pretty certain Gar Mac will not be on a list of potential candidates. (Walter Smith was a coach; it's a different set of circumstances.)

He's just there to provide experience for SG; he's not a coach. 

If SG leaves, then it'll be Michael Beale who would take over, for a short period. Even then, I would expect a list of candidates, who fit the desired profile (Gary Mac is NOT it), to be in place now, before that happens, so any replacement is appointed swiftly.  

What does Gary Mac actually do then ?

Just now, buster. said:

What does Gary Mac actually do then ?

To help SG with his duties; provide a bit of experience and knowledge. He's also a conduit between the players and manager, providing an ear for the players and little bits of advice here and there. 

Just now, Rousseau said:

To help SG with his duties; provide a bit of experience and knowledge. He's also a conduit between the players and manager, providing an ear for the players and little bits of advice here and there. 

Sounds like a Management consultancy of sorts..... (reminds me of Del Bosque at Madrid before he got the main gig for a prolonged spell)

Why do you think that would that make him so unsuitable ?

He has coached before but regardless, we are speculating about a management position.

8 minutes ago, buster. said:

Sounds like a Management consultancy of sorts..... (reminds me of Del Bosque at Madrid before he got the main gig for a prolonged spell)

Why do you think that would that make him so unsuitable ?

He has coached before but regardless, we are speculating about a management position.

It's the way the game is going. Gary Mac has coached before, but it was mainly when he was starting out as a manager, probably with the intention of being one (Managed Coventry early on, and took over as caretaker for a short spell when Houllier was ill), but most of his experience since then is as a number two. 

I would go so far as to say it is very rare for an 'Assistant manager' to become a manager in their own right. Unless they are youngsters starting out. The latter applies to Walter Smith, who was also more of a coach IMO, despite being called Assistant.

If you look at the Assistant managers in the EPL, very few will go on to be managers in their own right, and very few are actually coaches. Again, Arteta is perhaps the only one, but he's a youngster learning his trade, with the intention of going into management himself. The rest follow their managers around. 

I can't comment too much on Del Bosque, because I don't know much about Madrid, but wasn't he the youth coach before getting the main job?

4 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

It's the way the game is going. Gary Mac has coached before, but it was mainly when he was starting out as a manager, probably with the intention of being one (Managed Coventry early on, and took over as caretaker for a short spell when Houllier was ill), but most of his experience since then is as a number two. 

I would go so far as to say it is very rare for an 'Assistant manager' to become a manager in their own right. Unless they are youngsters starting out. The latter applies to Walter Smith, who was also more of a coach IMO, despite being called Assistant.

If you look at the Assistant managers in the EPL, very few will go on to be managers in their own right, and very few are actually coaches. Again, Arteta is perhaps the only one, but he's a youngster learning his trade, with the intention of going into management himself. The rest follow their managers around. 

I can't comment too much on Del Bosque, because I don't know much about Madrid, but wasn't he the youth coach before getting the main job?

We'll start our League camapign against a team with a longtime No.2 taking on the main role, albeit at a much smaller club.

Let's hope the Italian has a very bad start.

I think the difficulty we had in putting together a decent and interested short list post Caixinha, makes GaryMac more likely to be at least considered if he were to show any interest, within the scenario I painted earlier in the thread.

You look at the other side of the City and despite recent success, bank balances and all the rhetoric, they certainly appeared to struggle regards attracting a decent manager.