[FT] Rangers 2 - 0 Progrès (Aribo 20; Ojo 53)

2 hours ago, DMAA said:

I think it will be more of a 4-3-2-1 @der Berliner with Aribo on the left side of the 3 and Jack right side.

Great opportunity for Morelos to rack up the goals tonight. Would have liked to see Barisic play in this one though practically playing as a winger, I wonder why he’s gone with Halliday. 

Halliday was excellent tonight. Jack has found a new level and Aribo is a godsend.

5 minutes ago, pete said:

Halliday was excellent tonight. Jack has found a new level and Aribo is a godsend.

It’s not that I’ve got anything against him, just seemed like Barisic was the number 1 again so I was a bit surprised. I thought Halliday was very good but Barisic generally has a better final ball. 

38 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

That should have been double figures. But for that tentacle-cat in their goal, some rather strange off-side decisions and Tav trying to raze the post. Totally dominant in this still pre-season game ... and one has to be rather low on confidence to see us bowing out next week.

We are going to qualify, yes, but we did not bury the tie.

We will have to work harder than we would like in the away match.

That is a valid reason for disappointment.

27 minutes ago, rbr said:

Just out the game , at times sensational at others very  sloppy , Edmundsson[sic] fantastic Ojo a waste of space,  ok he scored but we carried him the entire game , needs to do much better all round. 

Edmundson deserved his 'man of the match' award.

I wouldn't describe Ojo as a 'waste of space' though.  At his best he looks great in attack.  Hopefully he will be consistent, in that regard, by the middle of the season.

However he does look suspect when our opponents have the ball.  This definitely needs work.

We still lack the cutting edge required.

Too often we required a second touch when one would have been advantageous.

Too often we passed when we should have taken a shot.

Improve both and we would bury Progres tonight.

5 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Edmundson deserved his 'man of the match' award.

Immense in the first half but got caught 4 or 5 time in the second half and we were lucky not to lose a goal because of his bad positioning. 

Just now, Bluedell said:

Immense in the first half but got caught 4 or 5 time in the second half and we were lucky not to lose a goal because of his bad positioning. 

Not sure it was as often as that but, as I saw it, he did work hard to get himself out of trouble too.

3 minutes ago, ranger_syntax said:

Not sure it was as often as that but, as I saw it, he did work hard to get himself out of trouble too.

He did, but he shouldn't have had to and there will be other times where we'd have been punished or the ref wouldn't have blown for a free kick. 

43 minutes ago, rbr said:

Ojo a waste of space,  ok he scored but we carried him the entire game , needs to do much better all round. 

Agree that he disappointed but if it wasn’t for that excellent finish from what was a half chance at best we could be going into the second leg with only a single goal lead.

I’ll take a bad performance and a goal over a “good performance” with no end product any day.