Her middle class background (mum and opera singer, dad and granddad both actors) has provided young Greta with the contacts and medium to launch her campaign, backed up by Green Party funds.

Nobody doubts the need for climate action, and Government policy around the world is having an impact, i.e. phasing out of diesel cars (wish Gordon Brown hadn't spent so long promoting them though!!) plastic bags, emission zones, electric cars etc etc.

One of her ideas around raising the cost of air travel will just hit the working classes, as our "betters" will be able to handle any rise and will just price certain people out of a holiday. 

Flying Greta all over the globe will make little difference, and just gives incumbent politicians a tick in the "we've listened to Greta" box  

I don't particularly blame Thunberg for this madness. After all, we all have to be sixteen sometime and all sixteen year olds think they know better. In recent years, this particular form of disrespect has become an almost religious requirement.

No, the real problem are the gratuitous virtue-signallers who have rushed to place her on a pedestal she could never hope to justify. Especially (but not uniquely) elected politicians, lawmakers with the future of our country in their hands, who prostrate themselves before the wisdom of this new nordic deity. I'm surprised the endlessly sanctimonious Swedes haven't made her Prime Minister already.

4 hours ago, Gonzo79 said:

Antifa people should go away and read up on what fascism actually is and then come back and tell us what fascists it is they're fighting against.

'Fascist' is a very misused term.  Usually by the same people who say things like, "literally awesome!".

You are so right. Left as I am I would not say we were anything like living in a fascist state. Lazy left sectarians are guilty of this by suggesting we fight the Tommy Robinsons on the street. Once they start banning trade unions then it becomes a different story.

1 hour ago, Bill said:

the real problem are the gratuitous virtue-signallers who have rushed to place her on a pedestal she could never hope to justify.

The lassie has Aspergers and is, of course, too young to be given such a significant platform.  Regardless of one's political persuasion, adults should realise that a kid is a kid and it's unfair to stick them in the limelight to this extent.

Her parents should have a word with themselves.  If they care more about their daughter than her celebrity status, that is.

Just now, Gonzo79 said:

The lassie has Aspergers and is, of course, too young to be given such a significant platform.  Regardless of one's political persuasion, adults should realise that a kid is a kid and it's unfair to stick them in the limelight to this extent.

Her parents should have a word with themselves.  If they care more about their daughter than her celebrity status, that is.

Hell, every country in Western Europe has had her addressing their MPs. Pathetic doesn’t do it justice. 

• 3 weeks later...

Disaster!

It seems the wunderkind will be throwing up for a week for nothing. Not only does her £4m yacht have a carbon footprint the size of the Ukraine but the flight she refused to take is still going to fly and there were 14 people competing for the seat she gave up. 

Oh dear, how sad, never mind.

Edited by Bill