Jump to content

 

 

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

My comment about politics was a general one and had nothing to do with Thunberg's gender.

 

Re-read the comment whilst you re-read the definition of misogyny.

You cited the example of Thunberg as an example of the feminisation of politics and then cited that "emotion defeats reason" to further your point.  

 

Is it just women that are unable to be objective when it comes to politics then? You seem to be implying that emotion is a bad thing and that reason is a good thing in this context, thus belittling the gender that is allegedly more susceptible to such traits.

 

I think I understand pretty clearly what is going on here, but do tell me if there is some subtler point I'm missing.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Emotion has its place in politics, of course.  

 

Thunberg's gender was irrelevant to the point I was making.  You obviously think otherwise, which tells its own story.

 

Sweeping generalisations can have some validity. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

Emotion has its place in politics, of course.  

 

Thunberg's gender was irrelevant to the point I was making.  You obviously think otherwise, which tells its own story.

 

Sweeping generalisations can have some validity. 

It is relevant as it's the context in which you made a sweeping generalisation to belittle women because of a perceived trait that you seem to suggest is negative. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Her gender was irrelevant to my comment about the feminisation of politics, regardless of your attempts to suggest otherwise.  

 

We'll have to agree to disagree about the increase in emotional involvement in politics and predominantly male/female traits.

 

Always interesting to have a chat with a male feminist though. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Some of the stuff on here is quite funny. Fretting over whether someone could be construed as misogynistic ffs. Personally, I just detest Swedes. (That’s a joke, in case the usual flower petals are fainting in offence and rushing to report me again)

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no misogyny in this topic. Thunberg would have got the same criticism if she had been a schoolboy and not a schoolgirl.

 

In reality the unfortunate child has been failed by her parents and exploited by others. She should be taken into care, looked after properly and sent to a  school where her talents will be better developed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Scott7 said:

There is no misogyny in this topic. Thunberg would have got the same criticism if she had been a schoolboy and not a schoolgirl.

 

In reality the unfortunate child has been failed by her parents and exploited by others. She should be taken into care, looked after properly and sent to a  school where her talents will be better developed.

No one should be listened to on such a weighty matter until they've gone out into the world and demonstrated two things

1. Created a sustainably independent existence

2. Contributed to society no less than they've already consumed from it.

 

if you could also apply those criteria to voting and breeding the world would be a far better place.

Edited by Bill
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bill said:

No one should be listened to on such a weighty matter until they've gone out into the world and demonstrated two things

1. Created a sustainably independent existence

2. Contributed to society no less than they've already consumed from it.

 

if you could also apply those criteria to voting and breeding the world would be a far better place.

No bother Captain Snowflake.

 

 

(Thought you'd like another monicker for your bio)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.