A bit of perspective

I think there was only one poster on the match thread yesterday who said its not the end of the world following yesterdays poor outing at Tynecastle. He is very much true as Celtic only came up stuck in their last visit to the capital.

However its the manner in which points can be dropped which irks the Gers support - which this forum has intelligence in abundance. We are not silly when we identify things and see that tweaks can be made.

I was very critical yesterday after the final whistle - which is when knee jerk reactions do tend to come out - I was thinking this morning that it was perhaps wrong as after the first OF game of the season where we didnt show we have actually been superb since scoring 17 goals and getting top of the league. At the same time we were extremely unlucky away in Switzerland in the Europa and should be sitting top of our group bar two slip ups.

A couple of things from yesterday - Did the pressure of being top get to us? Was it the international break which derailed the form? Was it a one off? All questions to be answered against Motherwell next week.

However short term memory isnt such a great thing. When we returned to the top flight a short time ago the rebuilding job to challenge a team playing regular CL football was always taking 3-5 years. We had disasters like Pedro "dont even want to google his last name" and it caused a set back.

But a bit of perspective from where we was 5 years ago. Gerrard has come in and we are competing and challenging again - we are right in a title race! After a quarter of the season gone, despite losing the first OF game of the season we are level on points and goal difference at the top. Perhaps yesterday needs to be a lesson learned and its still only October so there is plenty time to rectify our wrongs.

Edited by Gribz

I look forward to the day when we no longer assess our progress by comparing the team today with the chaotic financial mess and League 2 football of five years ago. Because if that’s what people really think the benchmark should still be then we might as well give up now. Those days are long gone, leave them where they belong. 

Edited by Bill

23 minutes ago, Bill said:

I look forward to the day when we no longer assess our progress by comparing the team today with the chaotic financial mess and League 2 football of five years ago. Because if that’s what people really think the benchmark should still be then we might as well give up now. Those days are long gone, leave them where they belong. 

Not sure who actually does that. If anything its the opposite. But if you cant see there WAS a mountain to climb which we are still climbing then you are not really reading the full picture.

Surely the target this season is winning the league? I mean that's always the target but this season it feels like a realistic ambition. So while I agree there's no need to panic after yesterday it's still very, very frustrating that we dropped points to a Hearts side low on confidence and really struggling for form. 

We'll drop more points this season, that's inevitable, but yesterday's performance deserves criticism I feel. Had we been peppering their goal, missing chances and simply been unable to stick one of our chances away then we could shrug our shoulders and move on safely knowing it was just 'one of those games', however that's not what happened. We were poor yesterday, lacking creativity, lacking direction, lacking composure and being too easily knocked off our game by a physical approach from Hearts. 

I personally don't feel we can compare ourselves to five years ago anymore. We've rebuilt, we've had a full season under Gerrard, now is time for this side to step up and play. Rangers sides that don't win matches they should win will always be criticised. 

Seems to be a misconception (Created by our Bill) about compare from 5 years ago!!??? Whoa Whoa Whoa...I said just have a LOOK at where we WAS then...and how much a building job it is going to be. Set a timeline if needed.....

Maybe my first post about intelligence on gersnet should be edited.

We shouldn't be drawing with a team third from bottom                                                                                  

4 hours ago, Gribz said:

Seems to be a misconception (Created by our Bill) about compare from 5 years ago!!??? Whoa Whoa Whoa...I said just have a LOOK at where we WAS then...and how much a building job it is going to be. Set a timeline if needed.....

Maybe my first post about intelligence on gersnet should be edited.

Do you really need to bring up Bill on every post?

I thought you were comparing where we are with where we were five years ago. Which is fair enough, and you're right; we've come a long way, and it's been a long, hard road. 

I also agree with Bill in the sense that we need to start leaving that behind, in a way. We need to now be comparing where we are with a 'title challenge' situation; that's the target.  

2 hours ago, compo said:

We shouldn't be drawing with a team third from bottom                                                                                  

Overall we would hope so but trying to insert a bit of the perspective the title suggests the yahoos drew with hubz who are currently second bottom and I feel Hearts are better than them and in a false position they wont occupy come the end of the season.