What we gonna look like?

I'd be surprised if we play anything other than a 4-2-3-1 which Smith has been using since he came back...

__________________McGregor___________________

Hutton______Weir_______Cuellar/Webster_____Smith

__________Hemdani_________Thomson____________

__________________Ferguson____________________

Burke/Darchville________________________Gow/Adam

_________________Boyd/AN Other________________

I still think we'll sign at least 3 other players for the forward areas.

Potential transfer movement:

OUT:

Papac - I quite like Papac but we will get a fee for him so he may be moved on.

Svensson - depending on the ongoing Webster situation.

Buffel - again, we will get a decent fee so this inconsistent Belgian will be moved on.

Sionko - contributed little last season so I doubt he'll be here this season.

Sebo - again a big disappointment despite the odd glimpse of form. May well leave.

IN:

GK - The likes of Graeme Smith and Jamie Langfield have been mentioned. Hardly first class but both are reasonable players for next to nothing leaving money for more urgent areas of the team. Smith isn't a bad goalie at all but is he experienced enough to make the step up and genuinely challenge McGregor.

LB - Stevie Smith remains injured so I think we may strengthen in this position. Konchesky rumours remain strong and Dinca Rat story is interesting. Ian Murray and Papac have done OK there but if one (or both) of them leaves, we need more cover.

RB - Alan Hutton was outstanding last season but we lack depth in that position. Steven Whittaker provides pace, strength and versatility on that flank so is possibly worth the £1-1.5million it would take to get him. Can we afford to spend that on a player who won't be first choice unless he (or Hutton) moves into a more attacking role?

DC - The ongoing Webster situation is a difficult one so it will probably be a straight choice between him and Svensson. The signing of Cuellar also looks more and more likely. He would be a fine addition to the squad.

DM - Rumours of Brellier signing are unfounded as far as I know. However, depending on other signings we make, we may have to let Hemdani go for a reasonable fee. As such, Brellier would be a useful (and free) replacement for him.

AM/F L - We've been equally strongly linked with McCulloch and Beasley. McCulloch would be a straight replacement for Prso while Beasley would provide much needed creativity and depth. Both would be good signings but only one of them is more likely.

SC - Depending on who leaves from this area (Sebo and/or Novo) we may see at least 2 more signings for this department. Naismith we all know about and we continue to be linked heavily with Fowler (unlikely IMO), Smith (even less likely) and a couple of strikers from Italy - Andrea Caracciolo being the one name I continually hear mentioned.

No matter what happens, there will be a lot more changes between now and late July. Patience will be required but there's no doubt the quicker we do our business - the better for our CL group stage qualification prospects!

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

3-5-2 isn't an option....

Cammy F

I don't like the 3-5-2, I think we should be 4-4-2, just trying to weigh up the options and see how others are thinking. Gribz is a big fan of it for example.

Does anyone play with 3 centre halves these days anyway? I think the formation was in fashion about 13 years ago or so, but was quickly ditched.

Apart from the positives/negatives of the formation itself, I don't think we need 3 CBs in the SPL.

I don't like the 3-5-2, I think we should be 4-4-2, just trying to weigh up the options and see how others are thinking. Gribz is a big fan of it for example.

Does anyone play with 3 centre halves these days anyway? I think the formation was in fashion about 13 years ago or so, but was quickly ditched.

Apart from the positives/negatives of the formation itself, I don't think we need 3 CBs in the SPL.

If the 3-5-2 is used then it has to be used the correct way. It all depends on the personnel at the club. For eg I think Arsenal and Man U would be daft to play 3-5-2 as they work the 4-4-2 so well and have the right balance but Liverpool and Chelsea on the other hand could get away with it.

The argument is why do we need 3 centre halfs in the SPL. But the way I look at it is why do we need 4 defenders! Lets have an extra midfielder and that way we still get 2 upfront. For eg - Celtic worked this very well under MON and they continued it into Europe. But they had 3 big and strong centre halfs, a holdng midfielder with a tackler then creative players plus 2 strong forwards. If Celtic tried that now they would probably get battered due to there squad now.

But from a Rangers point of view we havent had a good balance in the team for about 5 years. Our central midfielders just dont justify an attacking 4-4-2. But under Advocaat we were awesome with the 4-4-2 and played it correctly.

I just want the best formation that makes us a better team and play better football. And at the moment I still think 3-5-2 would suit Rangers better.

I'd be surprised if we play anything other than a 4-2-3-1 which Smith has been using since he came back...

__________________McGregor___________________

Hutton______Weir_______Cuellar/Webster_____Smith

__________Hemdani_________Thomson____________

__________________Ferguson____________________

Burke/Darchville________________________Gow/Adam

_________________Boyd/AN Other________________

Frankie, I quite like the 4-2-3-1 formation but Id like to have a De Boer / Buffel type player where you have Ferguson. BF plays too deep these days and comes back to pick up possession outside our own box when Hemdani should be doing this.

When playing this the 2 wide men MUST get forward and support the front man but Burke and Adam didnt do this enough last season although Adam chipped in some goals.

I still think we'll sign at least 3 other players for the forward areas.

Thats very encouraging and I hope so.

Potential transfer movement:

OUT:

Papac - I quite like Papac but we will get a fee for him so he may be moved on.

Svensson - depending on the ongoing Webster situation.

Buffel - again, we will get a decent fee so this inconsistent Belgian will be moved on.

Sionko - contributed little last season so I doubt he'll be here this season.

Sebo - again a big disappointment despite the odd glimpse of form. May well leave.

Agree with Papac, I quite like him and he played ok at LB. He would be handy to hang onto but if we got a fee that we could put towards a better player then we have to take it.

The Svensson one is tricky, my preferrence would be to have Cuellar and Webster in the squad ahead of him. A loan option may be the way to go.

Buffel - I think he should get one more chance to play that front man role. He must know he has to prove something. He has talent but needs to be consistant.

Sionko - I liked him to start with but it seemed like he had left anyway for the majority of last season so he can go.

Sebo - Disagree. I dont think he cant classed a disappointment when he barely got a game. If he got a run of 6-8 games and didnt do anything then id say he wasnt any use.

IN:

GK - The likes of Graeme Smith and Jamie Langfield have been mentioned. Hardly first class but both are reasonable players for next to nothing leaving money for more urgent areas of the team. Smith isn't a bad goalie at all but is he experienced enough to make the step up and genuinely challenge McGregor.

That is depressing reading IMO. I know your a bit of a keeper Frankie and may see something in Smith but Im looking for a fairly proven keeper. If Langfield signed Id actually be a bit embarrassed.

LB - Stevie Smith remains injured so I think we may strengthen in this position. Konchesky rumours remain strong and Dinca Rat story is interesting. Ian Murray and Papac have done OK there but if one (or both) of them leaves, we need more cover.

We should snap Konchesky up if possibly, heis a good player but a bit hot headed (similar to Danny Mills who ironically we are linked to at RB). But Konchesky would be a hige improvement to Ian Murray who has struggled last season.

RB - Alan Hutton was outstanding last season but we lack depth in that position. Steven Whittaker provides pace, strength and versatility on that flank so is possibly worth the �£1-1.5million it would take to get him. Can we afford to spend that on a player who won't be first choice unless he (or Hutton) moves into a more attacking role?

Hutton has made the RB position his own so it is cover we are looking for rather than a better player. Lowing may get a better, but Hutton is a must for RB on last seasons form.

DM - Rumours of Brellier signing are unfounded as far as I know. However, depending on other signings we make, we may have to let Hemdani go for a reasonable fee. As such, Brellier would be a useful (and free) replacement for him.

Would we consider letting last seasons best player go?? I think if Thomson could be accomodated next to Hemdani it would encourage him to get forward and get more goals. Hemdani must stay IMO.

No matter what happens, there will be a lot more changes between now and late July. Patience will be required but there's no doubt the quicker we do our business - the better for our CL group stage qualification prospects

Agreed I do think a lot more could still take place - whether its for the better or worse we will see in time. It is typical Walter Smith to do shrewd quiet business so thats what we are all hoping on at the moment.

The Brellier thing seems to be quotes from his agent saying we are interested rather than the other way round. That's what makes me think he's being offered to us rather than him being on our list.

Besides, there's no fee involved, so surely if we were after him, the deal could be struck quite quickly? Just sounds like agent talk to me.

Who knows. Its anyone's guess what's going on at the moment.

I have only seen him once or twice Gribz so I am not the best to respond but I DO know that the Jambos fans rated him highly and when I did see him he looked like a decent player.

Spoke to a Jambos friend about him last week and he was disappointed that he was leaving - read one Jambo posting after that article in the paper (link posted by Super_Ally) who said that Gers would be getting a very good player on the cheap.

Personally I would think he would be a decent squad player and a filler-in in the event of injuries.

No fee plus he was looking for the Jambos to give him 7 or 8k a week wages. At 7k a week I don't think he is too much of a gamble - decent wage and proven in the SPL. Was on the books at Inter Milan for a while so someone somewhere saw talent.