Rangers set to offer new deals to Steven Davis, Jermain Defoe and Allan McGregor

Rangers are set to offer new deals to veteran trio Steven Davis, Jermain Defoe and Allan McGregor.

Ibrox boss Steven Gerrard has been delighted by the impact of all three this season as they helped the side reach the Europa League group stages as well as battling Celtic at the top of the table.

Davis and McGregor are out of contract at the end of the season, while on-loan striker Defoe’s deal with Bournemouth also expires next summer.

Despite their combined age of 108, Gerrard insists all three deserve to extend their stay with the Light Blues and is keen to deal them in sooner rather than later.

He said: “There will be more news on the horizon about people staying here for longer.

“The people I’m talking about are the likes of Jermain, Allan, Steven — they’re not on long-term deals but are very much in the plan.

“They are on top form and players we want around longer than the end of the season.

“I don’t look at age. I look on form, I look on what you offer, what your contribution is on a daily basis.

“What you are bringing to the team and what you are potentially bringing to the team over how many years we are talking.

“I think when you’re dealing with players of this age, you’re never going to offer them a two or three-year deal. Of course you’re not, there’s no need.

“But at the same time you don’t want to lose them because they’re so valuable to us.

“They are players who help drive the standards and drive the dressing room and are helping me on a daily basis.

“Can you imagine how difficult my job would be now if those three were leaving in the summer? Or they knocked on my door and said they don’t want to play any more.

“How do you go and find a world-class goalie who is ready, who is going to make big saves in Europe, who is going to make big saves domestically, with the budgets that are available?

“How do you go and find a No 9 who can score at any given time?

"How do you go and find someone who has Steven Davis’ experience, who can run games of football and is a model professional?

“Sometimes you’ve got to realise what you’ve got and tickle what you’ve got and look after what you’ve got.

“I don’t want any crazy Alan Hansen quotes coming out here, but balance is important.

“It’s important that you have energy and youth and people that get the best out of the older guys in the dressing room, but also vice versa.

“These young guys need guidance, need professionals, need to see people across the board that set 100 per cent standards every single day.

“At the moment, I think we have the balance right.

“That’s not to say that we don’t want to add to it or adjust it, or change it from an addition point of view.

“At the same time, there will be people that go in a different direction to get football for their own piece of it.

“It will also be shaping it and adjusting it, but at the moment we have the balance right in terms of age.”

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/4909946/rangers-steven-davis-jermain-defoe-allan-mcgregor/?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1572734856

I'm happy to see Davis get a new contract.

I'm undecided about McGregor.  Although his contribution has been great I would like to see us bring through a younger goalkeeper.  I would guess that his new contract is a sign that we don't have an alternative ready to come in yet.

21 minutes ago, Frankie said:

Every successful squad needs experienced winners able to pass on their professionalism and abilities to younger players who perhaps need an extra guiding hand at times.

Its one thing saying players are aware of the standards and expectations at Rangers but in Davis & Greegsy you have two guys who have actually lived and thrived on that expectation. The embodiment of that in the dressing room is no bad thing.

Edited by D'Artagnan