Club 1872 Partner With Football Department

I'm a bit uncomfortable with this C1872 seems too close to the club.

We need a fan's organisation that's happy to criticise the club when required, and not just be its mouthpiece when the club's too scared to issue its own statements.

4 hours ago, Bluedell said:

I'm a bit uncomfortable with this C1872 seems too close to the club.

We need a fan's organisation that's happy to criticise the club when required, and not just be its mouthpiece when the club's too scared to issue its own statements.

I concur, I really don't see the need for this.

Seem more just like a compliant arm of the Club as opposed to a genuine organisation representative of all fans.

This is the problem with Club 1872.  It's purpose was initially very clear and that was to buy shares to put the club in the hands of fans.  It's been shown already that this can't happen for two reasons.  The first reason is that too few Rangers fans want to join up to the scheme.  The second reason is that we want it to be an oversight role but we don't believe that someone could be effective and confidential in the board room while balancing the need to give the fans information.

I still pay and will do for a little longer to see if it can work out its role.  I believe there is a role for an organisation like that but it needs to make it clear soon before it completely loses its way.  Maybe someone standing for a position in the forthcoming Club 1872 elections could campaign on a ticket to repurpose this fans' organisation.

I think it also needs to be clear if it aims to represent all fans or just its members.  If it really is expected to perform some of the functions we want it to, it'll need to cover the interests of all fans, but will those that fund it be happy to dilute their funding by spending resources on issues that non member fans are interested in?  I would, but I suspect I'll be in a minority perhaps.

Either way, Club 1872 must find a way to establish itself in 2020 or it risks fading away.  I think that would be a real shame and a missed opportunity.  Surely we have smart people in the Club that realise that and are planning to do something about it.  I hope so.

1 hour ago, Gaffer said:

This is the problem with Club 1872.  It's purpose was initially very clear and that was to buy shares to put the club in the hands of fans.  It's been shown already that this can't happen for two reasons.  The first reason is that too few Rangers fans want to join up to the scheme.  The second reason is that we want it to be an oversight role but we don't believe that someone could be effective and confidential in the board room while balancing the need to give the fans information.

I still pay and will do for a little longer to see if it can work out its role.  I believe there is a role for an organisation like that but it needs to make it clear soon before it completely loses its way.  Maybe someone standing for a position in the forthcoming Club 1872 elections could campaign on a ticket to repurpose this fans' organisation.

I think it also needs to be clear if it aims to represent all fans or just its members.  If it really is expected to perform some of the functions we want it to, it'll need to cover the interests of all fans, but will those that fund it be happy to dilute their funding by spending resources on issues that non member fans are interested in?  I would, but I suspect I'll be in a minority perhaps.

Either way, Club 1872 must find a way to establish itself in 2020 or it risks fading away.  I think that would be a real shame and a missed opportunity.  Surely we have smart people in the Club that realise that and are planning to do something about it.  I hope so.

Good post @Gaffer. There is of course a third reason why Club1872 will never see its shareholding translated into a role in the executive or the board ... the board doesn't want it and will never allow it, regardless of who is chairman.

In my opinion, which admittedly isn't worth much, Club1872 will never be able to transform itself into a representative organisation whose core aim is the interests of supporters. Nor will it ever achieve the sort of member numbers that begin to reflect the size of the Rangers support. It was set up as a vehicle for share ownership and as such was entirely dependent on the goodwill of a board that has held it by the throat ever since. It has no meaningful independence, no unfettered opinion and is seen by too many fans as merely an arm of the club. We need something entirely separate and fundamentally different but I'm so jaundiced by the shenanigans of previous supporters' organisations that, on the whole, I think we're better off without another one.

Edited by Bill

The stated goals on the c1872 website are as follows:

• Make significant, direct financial contributions to the rebuilding of Rangers Football Club through upcoming share issues.
  • Gain more direct influence over decision making at Rangers Football Club through securing a place for Club 1872 on the RIFC Plc board.
  • Maintain/grow our shareholding in Rangers International Football Club Plc.
  • Initiate significant, supporter driven projects (eg. safe standing).

As a member I think they have made positive strides towards those goals.  Success in these goals moves their board to working closely with the club on a number of levels.  Where our goals are the same or similar to the club, this approach works.

If they are to move away from those goals to a more campaign or issue based organisation, then I think that would call into question the apparent cosyness of its relationship with the club.

I will be interested to see how the various nominees for election to the c1872 board plan to address this as I think we need to remain vigilant and able to hold the club to account, should the need arise.