Posted (edited)

That many Russian novels are already universally regarded as established classics is proof enough of their worth. It’s unlikely therefore that they require or benefit from further endorsement. The problem they pose when they’re effectively traded as artifacts of status is that attention becomes distracted from equally important modern authors, including Russians like Lyudmila Ulitskaya and Svetlana Alexievich. Great novels are being written today and don’t deserve to be hidden behind second hand approval. Go discover. 

Edited by Bill

12 minutes ago, Gonzo79 said:

'What Men Live By' by Tolstoy is the best short story I've ever read.  

Yeah, it's not bad is it.

17 minutes ago, Bill said:

That many Russian novels are already universally regarded as established classics is proof enough of their worth. It’s unlikely therefore that they require or benefit from further endorsement. The problem they pose when they’re effectively traded as artifacts of status is that attention becomes distracted from equally important contemporary authors, including Russians like Lyudmila Ulitskaya and Shetland Alexievich. Great novels are being written today and don’t deserve to be hidden behind second hand approval. Go discover. 

Preach brother! Selfishly, as a writer myself, but also because these weren't high fiction at the times. I'm pretty sure the Brothers was serialised in a newspaper. Same with Opera. They were just the reading / entertainment of the time. Now, don't get me wrong, you stick with what really moves you which is why I'll die on that Dostoevsky hill. However, you're missing out on Saunders, Dybek, Horacio Moya. These are more than ordinary writers. To quote a band I used to love "it chars my heart to always hear you calling / calling for the good old days / there were no good old days/ these are the good old days" - it's why I liked the translation above so muh. Showing how clunky and human Dostoevsky was as a writer. If anything it only makes it more perfect.

Edited by bmck

• 1 month later...

Just finished "Unsettled" by Steven Koomin and would like to recommend it to anyone looking to balance the mainstream narrative on climate change. 

I could try to give a summary but, coincidentally, Unherd has just done a review of this book and renders any contribution I might make fairly worthless. Here's the link and it's also well worth reading ....

https://unherd.com/2021/07/the-corrosive-tribalism-of-climate-science/?tl_inbound=1&tl_groups[0]=18743&tl_period_type=3&mc_cid=3404dd71ac&mc_eid=5f97829678

Unsettled.jpg

A book I had my eye on was on Amazon for £150, although there were used copies for £35-£40.

I've just picked it up from Abebooks for £6. 

Just wanted to brag. 

Highlight of my year! :D 

53 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

A book

Come on, man!  What book?

Think the most I've spent (on a book) was £50 for The Politics Of Football In Yugoslavia - Sport, Nationalism And The State by Richard Mills (was worth it too). 

1 hour ago, Gonzo79 said:

Come on, man!  What book?

Think the most I've spent (on a book) was £50 for The Politics Of Football In Yugoslavia - Sport, Nationalism And The State by Richard Mills (was worth it too). 

Just a biography of Baudelaire.