• 1 month later...

I've just finished a book that made me realise what I had previously understood about heroism was ill-founded. I now have a much better appreciation of what the human spirit is capable of - courage, honour, resilience.

The book is 'Happy Odyssey', the autobiography of Lt General Sir Adrian Carton de Wiart who might be the ultimate warrior hero.

Get yourselves a copy and read it. Afterwards, the world will look a lot less pathetic.

Edited by Bill

• 3 months later...
23 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Anyone read Camus?

Any recommendations on where to start?

I’ve read The Stranger, The Fall and The Plague, a while ago now and I can’t remember much about them. Except that, unlike many Nobel prizewinners, Camus is very readable and deceptively challenging. 

PS- interested to hear in due course what you think of him

Edited by Bill

56 minutes ago, Rousseau said:

Anyone read Camus?

Any recommendations on where to start?

Probably with L'Etranger; then The Plague;. 

Non fiction The Myth of Sisyphus, and The Rebel;

That will be you covered for any dinner party. 

There is an interesting book called The Meursault Investigation, by an Algerian writer, from Oran, called Kamel Daoud, which is, to simplify, about the victim of Camus' assassin in The Outsider.. Normally, I avoid these kind of things, but I think that this one works, and works rather well. 

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, the gunslinger said:

i started in on the courtney books by wilbur smith. 

Surprised just how compelling a read they are. 

flying through them. 

I worked my way through them a few years back - not at all highbrow (not supposed to be) but really fun and exciting to read. As soon as you finish one you're looking for the next. You get a fair few interesting bits of African history in them too.

I think the only series I burned through at a faster rate were the Parker books by Stark/Westlake.

11 hours ago, Thinker said:

I worked my way through them a few years back - not at all highbrow (not supposed to be) but really fun and exciting to read. As soon as you finish one you're looking for the next. You get a fair few interesting bits of African history in them too.

I think the only series I burned through at a faster rate were the Parker books by Stark/Westlake.

Yeah that's exactly it. Great characters and great settings. 

Keep looking things up and thinking that can't be a real thing but they are. 

Pygmy tribes etc etc