The Summer 2020 Transfer Window Now Closed: Zungu signs on loan with option to buy

23 minutes ago, Dave M609 said:

Zungu seems a bit of a strange one, by all accounts the obligatory youtube video looks good but he has had a pretty mediocre career, maybe its just the market we are in just now. 

Whats the deal with Weissmann, is it just they lot that are interested in him.

His league appearances for the last few seasons don’t give the impression of an almost £4m player...

15/16 - 13

16/17 - 16

17/18 - 29

18/19 - 5

19/20 - 10

1 hour ago, Bill said:

Like they would know! Thankfully these days the media is as n the dark as we are. 

Yep; the club is keeping everything as tight as a crab's arse, and not before time.

But The Hoots, mon can tell us not just the player, but the price. 

Zungu sounds fine: versatile, box-to-box midfielder that should strengthen one of the three midfield spots. 

I still think we need a creative player, though.

It's not as if we are short in options (Kent, Hagi, Aribo, Docherty, Jones, Murphy, Barker, Stewart, Arfield, Middleton), but we're lacking quality and consistency. 

However, looking at that list, they don't quite fit, do they? They are either central midfielders or wingers, which isn't the position they're being asked to play. Hagi is the only one who can play there, naturally. 

I would advocate playing Aribo, Kent and Hagi more centrally, while Murphy, Jones and Stewart are primarily wingers / wing-players (though all can play across the attacking MF line). Who knows what will happen to Middleton and Barker, I would assume both will be loaned to get game time (and suitors)? I long for the day when we play a back-three, a DM in front of them and Aribo, Kent, and Hagi in creative/attacking midfield, Murphy/Jones on one and Stewart on the other wing, plus two strikers. They should be able to destroy much of the lesser sides.

5 minutes ago, der Berliner said:

I long for the day when we play a back-three, a DM in front of them and Aribo, Kent, and Hagi in creative/attacking midfield, Murphy/Jones on one and Stewart on the other wing, plus two strikers. They should be able to destroy much of the lesser sides.

Assuming that you'd also have a keeper with that formation, we should destroy most lesser teams if we play with a 3-1-3-4 formation as we'd have 12 players on the park. :laugh:

Our predictability is our main problem.  If we're going to continue with the same tactics against the same teams then we need players who can do things out of the ordinary. 

I doubt we can afford any more of those (Hagi is capable).

Just now, Gonzo79 said:

Our predictability is our main problem.  If we're going to continue with the same tactics against the same teams then we need players who can do things out of the ordinary. 

I doubt we can afford any more of those (Hagi is capable).

Agreed.  We need more tactical flexibility.

The last few seasons we have had to contend with very early Europa League qualifiers which may have limited the coaching team's ability to drill different formations, due to the need to get work on our preferred tactics.  With the mixed up close season we've had, I'd suggest that excuse wont hold as much weight so I'm looking forward to seeing how we adapt to different situations going forward.

Yeah I'm hoping we mix it up as well, we became to predictable last season. I would like to see Aribo given more of a chance in CM, although I thought he done pretty well when he moved up to RW last year but I would prefer our players playing the position they were comfortable with rather than shoehorned into a formation, like kent last year I don't think the lack of preseason and injuries helped him but I think he is more effective on the wing rather than being an inside 10.

I agree with Rosseau I think we do need another CM on top of this, I hope we have something else in the pipeline but we will see, hopefully some of our existing players will make a step up in their development this year as well, I think Jones has all the attributes to be a great footballer but needs to straighten the nut a bit

4 hours ago, Bluedell said:

Assuming that you'd also have a keeper with that formation, we should destroy most lesser teams if we play with a 3-1-3-4 formation as we'd have 12 players on the park. :laugh:

Well, strictly speaking I should have used and/or or or, but either two of these three would do. Likewise, Arfield also has his uses in an AM context, against the more physical teams.